Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Refering to compound variables with a variable name Post 302740027 by gary_w on Wednesday 5th of December 2012 10:41:28 AM
Old 12-05-2012
I believe you are trying to do something like this. Note you need Korn shell 93::
Code:
$ cat x
#!/usr/dt/bin/dtksh

## Define Compound variables.
cmp_var1=( code=10 desc="hello" )
cmp_var2=( code=20 desc="world" )

## Create array of compound variables.
set -A cmp_varnames cmp_var1 cmp_var2

## Print the descriptions.
for cmp in ${cmp_varnames[*]}
do
  # Use a name reference instead of eval.
  typeset -n mydesc="$cmp.desc"
  print $mydesc
done

exit 0
$ ./x
hello
world
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compound expression in unix

I am using the code below to write a command to launch a script only if the number of users on the system is less than 10. The code below isn't working. Any suggestions? HELP.. if && ; then frizzle ; fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spalmer
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to use 'compound variable' in a script

Hi there - am newish to shell scripting and would appreciate some advice on this... Am trying to use what I have seen called 'compound variables' in other langs but with no success in my shell script. This is the kind of thing I'm trying to do: base_val=123 stop=3 x=1 while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neemic
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to use 'compound variable' in a script

Erase the space in assigment operator. array_var=`expr $base_val + $x` (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irina
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compound indirect variable references

Using bash, I'm trying to read a .properties file (name=value pairs), assigning an indirect variable reference for each line in the file. The trick is that a property's value string may contain the name of a property that occurred earlier in the file, and I want the name of the 1st property to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrussel
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compound command with 'find' utility?

I'm trying to write a script using the 'find' command and it's -exec option to run a compound command against the files found. Example: find . -name "*.conf" -exec cat {} | grep "#" > /tmp/comments.list \; Of course the above doesn't work. So I experimented for a bit to see if there was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compound statements

how can i use two or multiple statements in the if part of an awk code for example i want to check two flag if they are true i will write some print operations and increase the counter. here is the c version of the code that i want to write: counter=0; if (flag1==1 && flag2==0) {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compound variable in korn shell

in a text " Korn Shell Unix programming Manual 3° Edition" i have found this sintax to declare a compoud variable: variable=( fild1 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

compound variable in korn shell

in a text " Korn Shell Unix programming Manual 3° Edition" i have found this sintax to declare a compoud variable: variable=( fild1 fild1 ) but this sintax in ksh and sh (HP-UNIX) not work... why?? exist another solution for this type of variable ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

compound Bash if then statement question

I am writing a Bash script that will either clone a database or setup a standby database. So Parameter 2 will be the operation type. If the value is not clone or standby I want to throw an error message. I suppose I can also do a case block. So far i have been unable to get the syntax working... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
1 Replies

10. Programming

tcl compound condition

Can anyone explain for me why this does not work in tcl: if !{( $a > "" || $b > "" )} { ....... where a and b are string vars. and this works instead: if {!( $a > "" || $b > "" )} { ........ Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
6 Replies
ISWCTYPE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWCTYPE(3)

NAME
iswctype - wide-character classification SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswctype(wint_t wc, wctype_t desc); DESCRIPTION
If wc is a wide character having the character property designated by desc (or in other words: belongs to the character class designated by desc), the iswctype() function returns nonzero. Otherwise it returns zero. If wc is WEOF, zero is returned. desc must be a character property descriptor returned by the wctype() function. RETURN VALUE
The iswctype() function returns nonzero if the wc has the designated property. Otherwise it returns 0. CONFORMING TO
C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswctype() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
iswalnum(3), iswalpha(3), iswblank(3), iswcntrl(3), iswdigit(3), iswgraph(3), iswlower(3), iswprint(3), iswpunct(3), iswspace(3), iswup- per(3), iswxdigit(3), wctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1999-07-25 ISWCTYPE(3)