Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Porting to new hardware - best way? Post 302739787 by jlliagre on Wednesday 5th of December 2012 01:17:23 AM
Old 12-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychocandy
Same version of Solaris etc.
Yes, but which one ? What about Solaris update, packages, patches ?
Quote:
Moving to new hardware.
From which one to which one ?
Quote:
Is there ANY way to either export this sort of thing so that I can re-do on new server or is it going to be a manual process only?

I did think about maybe creating a flash archive of the entire system and doing a flash install from DVD for Solaris on the new machine? Not that straightforward though.
You are close. Assuming you have no non-global zones, the easiest way would be to use Solaris P2V (physical to virtual) functionality.

The steps are
- create a flash archive
- move it to the new system
- create a zone
- install the zone from the flar updating it

Solaris 10 9/10: Migrating a Physical Solaris System Into a Zone (Tasks) - System Administration Guide: Oracle Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Oracle Solaris Zones

https://blogs.oracle.com/vreality/en...es_physical_to

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Porting Scripts.

Hi all, Figured this would be a good a place (well more apropriate) to ask this ... What considerations are necesary to port a script from one system to another? The below link is a script that I'm currently working on at work. The work system is a SCO box and I'm slowly becoming familar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

2. Programming

Porting to solaris

I have ported a c program to solaris. When I run , it gives me segmentation fault error at line :- memcpy ((char *)a_string ,(char *)0, MAX_READ ) ; originally this was in reliant unix as :- memcpy ( a_string , 0 , MAX_READ ) ; Can somebody help me about this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suds19
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX to linux porting

Hi all, i wanted to port some HP-UX code to linux. can anybody point to some documents or resources that would help me in doing the porting.. thanks in advance Arun Prakash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunprakash
0 Replies

4. Programming

Porting tools

I m sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I m going to do a project on porting tools in unix platform. Can any one give me further suggestions and resources for this topic "Porting tools". Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeru554
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

porting

I want to know what are the design considerations to be taken into account. when porting a socket project from Unix platform to another ...... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
10 Replies

6. Linux

when porting from HP-UX to Linux

helo, i m porting HP-UX socket application to Linux SSL-socket application. I have use htonl() in HP-UX. so when i use it in Linux, data transf is not done and application become soem time crashed. now when i remove htonl() in linux, then i got data but it will not proper order or some data may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Makfile porting

I am trying to port to HP-UX 11i v3 system an application in C++ language written for a Tru64 Unix V5. I am trying to execute on HP-UX 11i v3 a Makefile written for Tru64 Unix V5 with this code: $(TARGET_MORE): $(DEPEND_FILE) $(SOURCE_MORE.cc) $(LIBS) @for i in $(TARGET_MORE); do \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angeloberardi
1 Replies

8. AIX

Porting from HP-UX to AIX

I am orignally a VC++ programmer, this is the my post in UNIX form. I have an existing source code, that was developed in old HP-UX system, the objective is to make it work on new AIX system. It does'nt appear that AIX has the necessary libraries or even run the application if its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick786us
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware faulty, but which hardware?

Hi folk, I have this hardware faunty message, but dont know which hardware is this ? can you guide me ? --------------- ------------------------------------ -------------- --------- TIME EVENT-ID MSG-ID SEVERITY ---------------... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
9 Replies
install-solaris(1M)                                                                                                            install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)