Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count specific characters at specific column positions Post 302739585 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 12:33:04 PM
Old 12-04-2012
awk -f thie.awk myFile
where thie.awk is:
Code:
BEGIN {
  if (!chars) chars="A T G C"
  nchars=split(chars, charsA, FS)
}
{
  width=length($2)
  for(i=1;i<=width;i++)
   arr[substr($2,i,1),i]++
}
END {
  for(i=1;i<=nchars;i++) {
    printf("%s", charsA[i])
    for(j=1;j<=width;j++)
      printf("%s%d%s", OFS, arr[charsA[i],j], (j==width)?ORS:"")
  }
}

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

count characters in specific records

I have a text file which represents a http flow like this: HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:16:24 GMT Server: Apache Last-Modified: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:08:03 GMT Accept-Ranges: bytes Cache-Control: max-age=540 Expires: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:21:31 GMT Vary: Accept-Encoding ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a specific format to a specific column in a text file using awk and printf

Hi, I have the following text file: 8 T1mapping_flip02 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000008-000001.dcm 9 T1mapping_flip05 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000009-000001.dcm 10 T1mapping_flip10 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000010-000001.dcm 11 T1mapping_flip15 ok 128 108 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count occurrences in a specific column

Hi, I need help to count the number of occurrences in $3 of file1.txt. I only know how to count by checking one by one and the code is like this: awk '$3 ~ /aku hanya poyo/ {++c} END {print c}' FS="\t" file1.txt But this is not wise to do as i have hundreds of different occurrences in that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific column values

Hi all: quick question! I have the following data that resembles some thing like this: i am tired tired am i what is up hello people cool I want to count (or at least isolate) all of the unique elements in the 2nd column. I have tried this: cut -f 2 | uniq 'input' which does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count frequency of unique values in specific column

Hi, I have tab-deliminated data similar to the following: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 I want to count the frequency of each individual "unique" value in the 1st column. Thus, the desired output would be as follows: dot 3 cat 1 hot 1 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies
fold(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   fold(1)

NAME
fold - fold long lines for finite width output device SYNOPSIS
width] [file ...] Obsolete form: width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a filter that folds the contents of the specified files, breaking the lines to have a maximum of width column positions (or bytes, if the option is specified). The command breaks lines by inserting a newline character so that each output line is the maximum width possible that does not exceed the specified number of column positions (or bytes). A line cannot be broken in the middle of a char- acter. If no files are specified or if a file name of is specified, the standard input is used. The command is often used to send text files to line printers that truncate, rather than fold, lines wider than the printer is able to print. If the backspace, tab, or carriage-return characters are encountered in the input, and the option is not specified, they are treated spe- cially as follows: Backspace The current count of line width is decremented by one, although the count never becomes negative. Thus, the char- acter sequence character-backspace-character counts as using one column position, assuming both characters each occupy a single column position. does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any backspace character. Tab Each tab character encountered advances the column position pointer to the next tab stop. Tab stops are set 8 col- umns apart at column positions 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, etc. Carriage-return The current count of line width is set to zero. does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any carriage-return character. Note that may affect any underlining that is present. Options The command recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Count width in bytes rather than in column positions. Break the line on the last blank character found before the specified number of column positions (or bytes). If none are found, break the line at the specified line length. Specify the maximum line length, in column positions (or bytes if is specified). The default value is 80. width should be a multiple of 8 if tabs are present, or the tabs should be expanded using before processing by (see expand(1)). The option is obsolescent and may be removed in a future release. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. SEE ALSO
expand(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fold(1)