Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Porting to new hardware - best way? Post 302739523 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 10:07:46 AM
Old 12-04-2012
There isn't a best way. If you have zones, you can export and then import the zone into a new server. Most of the entanglements with this are IP addresses, which are handled up front.

Otherwise, tar up certain files in /etc and /var and restore them on the new box.
If you are using LDAP this can get interesting. "certain" varies with how you have your stuff set up, like time servers, nisplus, snmp, etc.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Porting Scripts.

Hi all, Figured this would be a good a place (well more apropriate) to ask this ... What considerations are necesary to port a script from one system to another? The below link is a script that I'm currently working on at work. The work system is a SCO box and I'm slowly becoming familar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

2. Programming

Porting to solaris

I have ported a c program to solaris. When I run , it gives me segmentation fault error at line :- memcpy ((char *)a_string ,(char *)0, MAX_READ ) ; originally this was in reliant unix as :- memcpy ( a_string , 0 , MAX_READ ) ; Can somebody help me about this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suds19
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX to linux porting

Hi all, i wanted to port some HP-UX code to linux. can anybody point to some documents or resources that would help me in doing the porting.. thanks in advance Arun Prakash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunprakash
0 Replies

4. Programming

Porting tools

I m sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I m going to do a project on porting tools in unix platform. Can any one give me further suggestions and resources for this topic "Porting tools". Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeru554
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

porting

I want to know what are the design considerations to be taken into account. when porting a socket project from Unix platform to another ...... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
10 Replies

6. Linux

when porting from HP-UX to Linux

helo, i m porting HP-UX socket application to Linux SSL-socket application. I have use htonl() in HP-UX. so when i use it in Linux, data transf is not done and application become soem time crashed. now when i remove htonl() in linux, then i got data but it will not proper order or some data may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Makfile porting

I am trying to port to HP-UX 11i v3 system an application in C++ language written for a Tru64 Unix V5. I am trying to execute on HP-UX 11i v3 a Makefile written for Tru64 Unix V5 with this code: $(TARGET_MORE): $(DEPEND_FILE) $(SOURCE_MORE.cc) $(LIBS) @for i in $(TARGET_MORE); do \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angeloberardi
1 Replies

8. AIX

Porting from HP-UX to AIX

I am orignally a VC++ programmer, this is the my post in UNIX form. I have an existing source code, that was developed in old HP-UX system, the objective is to make it work on new AIX system. It does'nt appear that AIX has the necessary libraries or even run the application if its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick786us
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware faulty, but which hardware?

Hi folk, I have this hardware faunty message, but dont know which hardware is this ? can you guide me ? --------------- ------------------------------------ -------------- --------- TIME EVENT-ID MSG-ID SEVERITY ---------------... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
9 Replies
named-xfer(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     named-xfer(8)

NAME
named-xfer - Pulls BIND zones from another server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/named-xfer -z zone_to_transfer -f db_file -s serial_no [-d debug_level] [-l debug_log_file] [-t trace_file] [-p port] [-S] servers... OPTIONS
Specifies the name of the BIND zone for the named-xfer daemon to transfer, for example, dec.com. This option is required to pull a zone. Specifies the name of the file into which the pulled zone information is placed. This option is required to pull a zone. Specifies the current serial number of the SOA record for the zone zone_to_transfer. If serial_no is set to 0, the zone is always pulled. This option is required to pull a zone. Sets the debug level and determines the amount of debug information to be displayed. Specifies the file that will contain any debug messages from the zone pull. Specifies the file that will contain a trace from the zone pull. Specifies the port that will be used instead of the default name server port listed in /etc/services. Performs a restricted transfer of only the SOA, NS records and glue A records for the zone. The SOA record is not loaded by named, but is used to determine when to verify the NS records. See named(8) for more information. Specifies a list of Internet addresses, in dotted-quad format, from which to pull a zone. If the first host cannot be reached, the named transfer daemon tries to pull the zone from the next host listed. DESCRIPTION
The named transfer daemon, /usr/sbin/named-xfer, is a server that is usually run by the named daemon, /usr/sbin/named, but it can also be run manually with the given arguments. The named transfer daemon runs on a BIND secondary server and pulls BIND zones from a primary server. This daemon is not run by default, nor can it be started up from inetd(8). SEE ALSO
Commands: named(8) Files: resolver(4), services(4) named-xfer(8)