Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error in finding the PID by grep and assigning to a variable Post 302739409 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 07:13:50 AM
Old 12-04-2012
Code:
echo "PID : $!"

That "$!" is the SUB_PID.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

finding out the pid for a busy text file

Can some one please tell me how to find out the proccess ID that is holding up a file. I am attempting to remove a file and I am getting a message stating that it is busy. i.e rm filename filename: 777 mode ? (y/n) y rm: filename not removed. Text file busy Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number of occurence using grep -c then assigning it to a variable

Hi guys! I need to count the occurence of a certain pattern. For example the pattern is PC. the contents of the file sample.txt: A PC asdfgadfjkl asdfa PC sadfaf fdsPCasdfg if i use grep -c PC sample.txt it will display 3 as the number of occurence how do i save that number to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding PID of a process using variable substituition

Hi All, Am copying mulitple files in a directory in names File0,File1,File2 etc. I need to print separately the PID of these copies using File names. for((i=0;i<5;i++)) do mypid=`ps aux | awk '/File$i/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'` echo PID is $mypid done It printed nothing. Thinking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Finding PID of Killing process

Say I have 2 processes(perl scripts on Solaris machine) A and B. the process A kill the process B. While in the process B how do I print the PID of the process that Killed it(process A) before dieing. My process A looks like open(STATS, "ps -ef|"); while ($inputLine = <STATS>) { if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_007
7 Replies

8. AIX

Assigning PID for a Process

Hello Team, Is there anyway to assign a dedicated pid for a particular java process(application). Regards, Gowtham.G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep doesn't work when assigning to variable

Hello, First of all, I'd like to say hello to all members of forum. Can You please help me with the matter described below? I am trying to fetch a data from the file to variable, I am doing this using below script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i -E "Error|"` echo $returned ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable to output gives error with expected result

Hello, I am trying to print out the first string matching query with grep and I need your help. My scenario: Database John F 4433 Street No 88 CA Elisabeth Taylor 7733 Street No 26 ON Jack Nicholson 0133 Green Park No 34 AR John F 2 9399 Southpark No 02D UT test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock -- create or verify a lock file for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock -f lockfile [-p PID] [-u] [-v] DESCRIPTION
The shlock command can create or verify a lock file on behalf of a shell or other script program. When it attempts to create a lock file, if one already exists, shlock verifies that it is or is not valid. If valid, shlock will exit with a non-zero exit code. If invalid, shlock will remove the lock file, and create a new one. shlock uses the rename(2) system call to make the final target lock file, which is an atomic operation (i.e. "dot locking", so named for this mechanism's original use for locking system mailboxes). It puts the process ID ("PID") from the command line into the requested lock file. shlock verifies that an extant lock file is still valid by using kill(2) with a zero signal to check for the existence of the process that holds the lock. The -f argument with lockfile is always required. The -p option with PID is given when the program is to create a lock file; when absent, shlock will simply check for the validity of the lock file. The -u option causes shlock to read and write the PID as a binary pid_t, instead of as ASCII, to be compatible with the locks created by UUCP. The -v option causes shlock to be verbose about what it is doing. RETURN VALUES
A zero exit code indicates a valid lock file. EXAMPLES
BOURNE SHELL #!/bin/sh lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock if shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` fi C SHELL #!/bin/csh -f set lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ if ($status == 0) then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` endif The examples assume that the filesystem where the lock file is to be created is writeable by the user, and has space available. HISTORY
shlock was written for the first Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) software distribution, released in March 1986. The algorithm was sug- gested by Peter Honeyman, from work he did on HoneyDanBer UUCP. AUTHOR
Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> BUGS
Does not work on NFS or other network filesystem on different systems because the disparate systems have disjoint PID spaces. Cannot handle the case where a lock file was not deleted, the process that created it has exited, and the system has created a new process with the same PID as in the dead lock file. The lock file will appear to be valid even though the process is unrelated to the one that cre- ated the lock in the first place. Always remove your lock files after you're done. BSD
June 29, 1997 BSD