Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error in finding the PID by grep and assigning to a variable Post 302739409 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 07:13:50 AM
Old 12-04-2012
Code:
echo "PID : $!"

That "$!" is the SUB_PID.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

finding out the pid for a busy text file

Can some one please tell me how to find out the proccess ID that is holding up a file. I am attempting to remove a file and I am getting a message stating that it is busy. i.e rm filename filename: 777 mode ? (y/n) y rm: filename not removed. Text file busy Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number of occurence using grep -c then assigning it to a variable

Hi guys! I need to count the occurence of a certain pattern. For example the pattern is PC. the contents of the file sample.txt: A PC asdfgadfjkl asdfa PC sadfaf fdsPCasdfg if i use grep -c PC sample.txt it will display 3 as the number of occurence how do i save that number to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding PID of a process using variable substituition

Hi All, Am copying mulitple files in a directory in names File0,File1,File2 etc. I need to print separately the PID of these copies using File names. for((i=0;i<5;i++)) do mypid=`ps aux | awk '/File$i/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'` echo PID is $mypid done It printed nothing. Thinking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Finding PID of Killing process

Say I have 2 processes(perl scripts on Solaris machine) A and B. the process A kill the process B. While in the process B how do I print the PID of the process that Killed it(process A) before dieing. My process A looks like open(STATS, "ps -ef|"); while ($inputLine = <STATS>) { if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_007
7 Replies

8. AIX

Assigning PID for a Process

Hello Team, Is there anyway to assign a dedicated pid for a particular java process(application). Regards, Gowtham.G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep doesn't work when assigning to variable

Hello, First of all, I'd like to say hello to all members of forum. Can You please help me with the matter described below? I am trying to fetch a data from the file to variable, I am doing this using below script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i -E "Error|"` echo $returned ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable to output gives error with expected result

Hello, I am trying to print out the first string matching query with grep and I need your help. My scenario: Database John F 4433 Street No 88 CA Elisabeth Taylor 7733 Street No 26 ON Jack Nicholson 0133 Green Park No 34 AR John F 2 9399 Southpark No 02D UT test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)