Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find the average based on similar names in the first column Post 302739397 by FelipeAd on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 06:54:57 AM
Old 12-04-2012
I started by using sort command, in particular

Code:
sort -d -k1,1 file

to find those lines that are repeated but then i am not sure how to distinguish between the lines with the same name after that

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change names in a column based on the symbols in another column

If the 4th column has - sign then the names in 3rd column has to change to some user defined names (as shown in output). Thanx input1 1 a aaaaa + 2 b bbbbb + 3 c ccccc + 4 d ddddd + 5 e eeeee + 6 f xxxxx + 8 h hhhhh +... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find the average of a given column and also for specified number of rows?

Hi Friends, In continuation to my earlier post https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/99166-script-find-average-given-column-also-specified-number-rows.html I am extending my problem as follows. Input: Column1 Column2 MAS 1 MAS 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: how to get average based on certain column

Hi, I'm new to shell programming, can anyone help me on this? I want to do following operations - 1. Average salary for each country 2. Total salary for each city and data that looks like - salary country city 10000 zzz BN 25000 zzz BN 30000 zzz BN 10000 yyy ZN 15000 yyy ZN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with merge two file based on similar column content

Input file 1: A1BG A1BG A1BG A1CF A1CF BCAS BCAS A2LD1 A2M A2M HAT . . Input file 2: A1BG All A1CF TEMP (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find the Maximum value and average of a column

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to complete a script which will allow me to find: a) reads a value from the keyboard. (ask the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstewie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average values in a column based on range

Hi i have data with two columns like below. I want to find average of column values like if the value in column 2 is between 0-250000 the average of column 1 is some xx and average of column2 is ww then if value is 250001-5000000 average of column 1 is yy and average of column 2 is zz. And my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavpbk88
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the average of a column based on the value of another column

Hi, I would like to calculate the average of column 'y' based on the value of column 'pos'. For example, here is file1 id pos y c 11 1 220 aa 11 4333 207 f 11 5333 112 ee 11 11116 305 e 11 11117 310 r 11 22228 781 gg 11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackken007
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find similar items in a column

HI, I have a long file which looks like "1xxx_0_1" "1xxx" 500 5 "ABC*3-DEF*3-LL" "2yyy_0_1" "2yyy" 600 10 "ABC*2-DEF*2-LL" "3ddd_0_1" "3ddd" 150 52 "ABC*3-DEF*3-LL" "1xxx_0_1" "1xxx" 500 5 "ABC*3-DEF*3-LL" "2yyy_0_1" "2yyy" 600 10 "ABC*2-DEF*2-LL" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXLMMN
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check first column - average second column based on a condition

Hi, My input file Gene1 1 Gene1 2 Gene1 3 Gene1 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 4 Gene2 8 Gene3 9 Gene3 9 Gene4 0 Condition: If the first column matches, then look in the second column. If there is a value of zero in the second column, then don't consider that record while averaging. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies
WRAP-AND-SORT(1)					      General Commands Manual						  WRAP-AND-SORT(1)

NAME
wrap-and-sort - wrap long lines and sort items in Debian packaging files SYNOPSIS
wrap-and-sort [options] DESCRIPTION
wrap-and-sort wraps the package lists in Debian control files. By default the lists will only split into multiple lines if the entries are longer than 80 characters. wrap-and-sort sorts the package lists in Debian control files and all .install files. Beside that wrap-and-sort removes trailing spaces in these files. This script should be run in the root of a Debian package tree. It searches for control, control.in, copyright, copyright.in, install, and *.install in the debian directory. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show this help message and exit. -a, --wrap-always Wrap all package lists in the Debian control file even if the entries are shorter than 80 characters and could fit in one line line. -s, --short-indent Only indent wrapped lines by one space (default is in-line with the field name). -b, --sort-binary-packages Sort binary package paragraphs by name. -k, --keep-first When sorting binary package paragraphs, leave the first one at the top. Unqualified debhelper(7) configuration files are applied to the first package. -n, --no-cleanup Do not remove trailing whitespaces. -d path, --debian-directory=path Location of the debian directory (default: ./debian). -f file, --file=file Wrap and sort only the specified file. You can specify this parameter multiple times. All supported files will be processed if no files are specified. -v, --verbose Print all files that are touched. AUTHORS
wrap-and-sort and this manpage have been written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. Both are released under the ISC license. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WRAP-AND-SORT(1)