Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Single UNIX command to display users and to count them Post 302739395 by Skrynesaver on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 06:53:38 AM
Old 12-04-2012
Something like this might do it
Code:
  w | tail -$(( $(w| wc -l) - 2 ))  | tee >(cut -d\  -f1|uniq | wc -l >/dev/stderr )

Last edited by Skrynesaver; 12-04-2012 at 08:09 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bosskr
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bosskr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run command Unix on a single line

Hi everybody.. I need to enter in bash mode and then run a command and this just in a single command line. I tried : "bash ^M| somecommand" but nothing.. How do I do to simulate the return button just right after the bash command ? Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riddick61
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Command To display "echo command value in loop" in single line.

Hi I want to display "echo command value in loop" in single line. My requirement is to show the input file (test_1.txt) like the output file (test_2.txt) given below. Input file :test_1.txt a1|b1|4|5 a1|b1|42|9 a2|b2|32|25 a1|b1|2|5 a3|b3|4|8 a2|b2|14|6 Output file:test_2.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re: How To Use UNIQ UNIX Command On single Column

Hi , Can You Please let Know How use unix uniq command on a single column for deleting records from file with Below Structure.Pipe Delimter File . Source Name | Account_Id A | 101 B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code: archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get count of multiple word in single command

Hello Experts, I have a log file that contains 4 different type of exception : 1- Exception 2- Fatal 3- Error 4- Exec My requirement is to find count of each type of exception, i tried using combination of -E and -C but that doesn't seems to be working : grep -ec 'Exception' -ec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count?

Hi, I have a file with a list of bunch of IP addresses from different VLAN's . I am trying to find the list the number of each vlan occurence in the output Here is how my file looks like 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.2.1 1.1.2.2 1.1.3.1 1.1.3.2 1.1.3.3 1.1.3.4 So what I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
2 Replies
tee(1)								   User Commands							    tee(1)

NAME
tee - replicate the standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee [-ai] [file]... ksh93 tee [-ail] [file]... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee copies standard input to standard output, making a copy in zero or more files. tee does not buffer its output. The options determine if the specified files are overwritten or appended to. ksh93 The tee built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when tee is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/tee or /usr/bin/tee executable. tee copies standard input to standard output and to zero or more files. The options determine whether the specified files are overwritten or appended to. The tee utility does not buffer output. If a write to a file fails, tee continues to write to other files although it exits with a non-zero exit status. The number of file operands that can be specified is limited by the underlying operating system. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/tee The following options are supported by /usr/bin/tee: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. -i Ignores interrupts. ksh93 The following options are supported by the tee built-in command in ksh93: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. --append -i Ignores SIGINT signal. --ignore-interrupts -l Sets the standard output to be line buffered. --line-buffer OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an output file. Processing of at least 13 file operands are supported. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tee when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tee: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
/usr/bin/tee The following exit values are returned by /usr/bin/tee: 0 The standard input was successfully copied to all output files. >0 The number of files that could not be opened or whose status could not be obtained. ksh93 The following exit values are returned by tee in ksh93: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tee +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
cat(1), ksh93(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 tee(1)