Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Single UNIX command to display users and to count them Post 302739373 by sreyan32 on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 06:17:57 AM
Old 12-04-2012
Question Single UNIX command to display users and to count them

Hello everyone,
I am new to Unix and I am stuck with a problem. I need only a single command to display the output of who and then add the total number of users and display at the bottom of that output.
Example-: (Expected output)
sreyan@debian:~$ <command>
sreyan tty7 2012-12-04 05:50 (:0)
sreyan pts/0 2012-12-04 05:51 (:0.0)

By the way I am using Debian 6.0.5 (64-bit). Thank You.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bosskr
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bosskr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run command Unix on a single line

Hi everybody.. I need to enter in bash mode and then run a command and this just in a single command line. I tried : "bash ^M| somecommand" but nothing.. How do I do to simulate the return button just right after the bash command ? Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riddick61
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Command To display "echo command value in loop" in single line.

Hi I want to display "echo command value in loop" in single line. My requirement is to show the input file (test_1.txt) like the output file (test_2.txt) given below. Input file :test_1.txt a1|b1|4|5 a1|b1|42|9 a2|b2|32|25 a1|b1|2|5 a3|b3|4|8 a2|b2|14|6 Output file:test_2.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re: How To Use UNIQ UNIX Command On single Column

Hi , Can You Please let Know How use unix uniq command on a single column for deleting records from file with Below Structure.Pipe Delimter File . Source Name | Account_Id A | 101 B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code: archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get count of multiple word in single command

Hello Experts, I have a log file that contains 4 different type of exception : 1- Exception 2- Fatal 3- Error 4- Exec My requirement is to find count of each type of exception, i tried using combination of -E and -C but that doesn't seems to be working : grep -ec 'Exception' -ec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count?

Hi, I have a file with a list of bunch of IP addresses from different VLAN's . I am trying to find the list the number of each vlan occurence in the output Here is how my file looks like 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.2.1 1.1.2.2 1.1.3.1 1.1.3.2 1.1.3.3 1.1.3.4 So what I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
2 Replies
PTS_HELP(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_HELP(1)

NAME
pts_help - Displays help for pts commands SYNOPSIS
pts help [-topic <help string>+] [-help] pts h [-t <help string>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The pts help command displays the complete online help entry (short description and syntax statement) for each command operation code specified by the -topic argument. If the -topic argument is omitted, the output includes the first line (name and short description) of the online help entry for every pts command. To list every pts command whose name or short description includes a specified keyword, use the pts apropos command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string>+ Indicates each command for which to display the complete online help entry. Omit the pts part of the command name, providing only the operation code (for example, specify "membership", not "pts membership"). If this argument is omitted, the output briefly describes every pts command. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The online help entry for each pts command consists of the following two or three lines: o The first line names the command and briefly describes its function. o The second line lists aliases for the command, if any. o The final line, which begins with the string "Usage", lists the command's options in the prescribed order. Online help entries use the same symbols (for example, brackets) as the reference pages in this document. EXAMPLES
The following command displays the online help entry for the pts membership command: % pts help membership pts membership: list membership of a user or group aliases: groups Usage: pts membership -nameorid <user or group name or id>+ [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-force] [-help] PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_apropos(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 PTS_HELP(1)