Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sudo and edit other user's info. Post 302739323 by linuxadmin on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 03:46:26 AM
Old 12-04-2012
RedHat Sudo and edit other user's info.

i did a mistake. Smilie
Code:
user1 ]$ vi ~/.bashrc
sudo su - user2

now , whenever I try to login to user1 , it will login to user2.

How can I resolve this ? Smilie

N.B
-- I do not have root access.
-- I dont know password of user2
-- this is a virtual machine.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Info

How could I get the details about a user logged in a Unix system? ( WHat tasks did he perform or if he had changed any file or not)? Please answer my question. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_dhar
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How can i edit /etc/vfstab in single user mode

Hi Experts /etc/vfstab is corrupted as while editing it i forgot to comment some of the line. how can i edit the file in single in user mod? also, i have some problem in CD drive , so i cant boot it from CD and do the changes. i tried mounding the root file system as rw, however no... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update LDIF User info based on Test User Certs ID's

Hi I need help.......... I have an Sun One Directory server LDIF file with 5000 user entries, I need to change the data to match Test ID's, so I can run a perf test. I'm way out of my league as I have not done any scripting for 10 years. There are four entries for each user in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Macdaddy99
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo user

I am trying to run a command from different user on my server. However when i execute the command it asks for password can you please help. when i use this command to switch user no password is required 1) sudo su - bilbtf42 when i use 2) sudo su - bilbtf42 cp file1 direcotry1/file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackeyed
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Discover the last user in a group to edit a file?

Alright, so a number of users are in a group, and they have certain access rights to a file, which is owned by a single user, standard stuff, right? However, I need to know which user in that group was the last user to edit a file. Is there any way to determine this in SunOS 5.9? I've looked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainedragon
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo su - USER ??? How to??

Hi folks, Here is my question of the day 8-) I have to provide the ability to sudo su - orapd2 & sudo su - pd2adm for the following people User A, B, C, D which all of them are part of the group staff. orapd2 and pd2adm are also users. Users A, B, C, D should not type the password for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Help me to edit sudo file

I am trying to edit sudoers file by running the command #visudo. But it is not opening and error showing like 'it is read only filesystem'. Than I changed the permissions of /etc/sudoers file to 640 and modified it(after I change the permission to 440). Than it is modified successfully. But sudo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: welcome23
2 Replies

8. AIX

Sudo to other user

Hello All, I am trying to grant sudo privileges to a set of users (say tom and jerry) to sudo to another set of users (jim, harry). This is because we don't want to disclose the password of jim and harry. I did defined the user_alias and runas alias. %wms ALL = (USR) /usr/bin/su -, where wms... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibmtech
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make user groups and edit permissions?

OK guys and gals. I've been working on a debian system for a little bit, in hopes of making it into a system we can use for manifests and other things. I am very new to unix, particularly debian. I would like to make 2 or 3 different groups. 1 would be for me, and other people... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samee71
1 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

Name
       talk, otalk - talk to another user

Syntax
       talk person [ttyname]

otalk person [ttyname]

Description
       The command is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.

If  you	wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another
       host, then person is of the form :
       host!user
	or
       host.user
	or
       host:user
	or
       user@host
       The form user@host is perhaps preferred.

If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

When first called, it sends the message
       Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
       talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine.
       talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine

to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
       talk  your_name@your_machine

It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.  Once communication is established,  the
       two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows.  Typing Ctrl-L will cause the screen to be reprinted,
       while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal.  To exit, just type your interrupt character; then moves  the
       cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal.

Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.	At the outset talking is allowed.  Certain commands, in particular
       and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

In order to use the program with machines on your network that may be running earlier versions of ULTRIX, you must initiate a session  with
       the  command (/usr/ucb/otalk) instead of the command You must also respond to a request from a machine running an older version of the pro-
       gram with the command. See the Restrictions section.

Examples
       The following example demonstrates how to use the command.  In this case, user1, whose system (system1) is running ULTRIX V2.2 initiates  a
       session with user2, whose system (system2) is running ULTRIX V3.0.  User1 types the following:
       system1> talk user2@system2
       The following message appears on the screen of user2:
       Message from Talk_Daemon@system2 at 12:37 ...
       talk: connection requested by user1@system1.
       talk: respond with:  otalk user1@system1
       To establish the connection user2 follows the instructions from the Talk_Daemon and types the following at the system prompt:
       system2> otalk user1@system1

Restrictions
       The  version  of  released  with ULTRIX V3.0 uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in earlier versions. Starting with
       ULTRIX V3.0, the program communicates with other machines running ULTRIX, V3.0 (and later), and machines running 4.3  BSD  or  versions	of
       UNIX based on 4.3 BSD.

The command is not 8-bit clean. Typing in DEC Multinational Characters (DECMCS) causes the characters to echo as a sequence of a carets (^)
       followed by the character represented with its high bit cleared. This limitation makes unusable if you want to communicate using a language
       which has DECMCS characters in its alphabet.

Files
       to find the recipient's machine

to find the recipient's tty

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8c)

talk(1)