Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting the character count of the last line Post 302739319 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 03:43:57 AM
Old 12-04-2012
This would break if there are file names with spaces and/or special characters. To avoid that you would need to use properly quoting:
Code:
print "$FILE"
tail -1 "$FILE"

Also, wc -c only counts bytes, so with multibyte characters you would end up with the wrong number. To avoid that use wc -m. For example:

Code:
$ echo 'eé' | wc -c
$ echo 'eé' | wc -m
$ printf "%s" 'eé' | wc -m

As you can see, they both count the linefeed at the end, you may or may not want that...

--
The semicolon after while read FILE is not necessary...

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-04-2012 at 05:57 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit207
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count character in one line

Please check the attachment for the example. Purpose: count how many "|" character in one line and also display the line number. expect result: Line 1 : there are 473 "|" characters Line 2 : there are 473 "|" characters I have tried to use awk to count it, it's ok when the statistic... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count character present in a line

Suppose i have multiple line like below in a file. ASDFAFAGAHAHAHA AGAHAHAJGAFAGAH AHAHAKAHAHAHAKA I need a bash script to count a character and also Also count the number of character present in each line . suppose for line 1: A=x, S=y, D=x and so on and total character=15. where x y and z is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXLMMN
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count of each line

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines. Most of the lines have 16 characters. I want to find out lines that have less than 14 characters (usually 12 or 13). wc -l gives me the line count and wc -c gives me the total characters in a file. I could not get the total characters for each line.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)