Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting the character count of the last line Post 302739153 by birei on Monday 3rd of December 2012 03:45:58 PM
Old 12-03-2012
Hi MIA651,

One way using perl. It prints the file name, a colon and the number of characters in last line:
Code:
$ perl -lne 'if ( eof ) { printf qq|%s: %d\n|, $ARGV, length; }' *
3.txt: 12
AAAB.txt: 10
AAAC.txt: 26
file.data: 4

This User Gave Thanks to birei For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit207
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count character in one line

Please check the attachment for the example. Purpose: count how many "|" character in one line and also display the line number. expect result: Line 1 : there are 473 "|" characters Line 2 : there are 473 "|" characters I have tried to use awk to count it, it's ok when the statistic... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count character present in a line

Suppose i have multiple line like below in a file. ASDFAFAGAHAHAHA AGAHAHAJGAFAGAH AHAHAKAHAHAHAKA I need a bash script to count a character and also Also count the number of character present in each line . suppose for line 1: A=x, S=y, D=x and so on and total character=15. where x y and z is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXLMMN
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count of each line

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines. Most of the lines have 16 characters. I want to find out lines that have less than 14 characters (usually 12 or 13). wc -l gives me the line count and wc -c gives me the total characters in a file. I could not get the total characters for each line.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)