Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) File paths with spaces in a variable Post 302738965 by RudiC on Monday 3rd of December 2012 08:37:01 AM
Old 12-03-2012
When defining, you can use quotes, but also escape spaces like "\ ". When referencing, double quotes keep the shell from splitting the variable's contents into several words at spaces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable containing spaces

Hi, my var is: PATH_LOG=/opt/WebSphere/CR Comune Roma.log a filename which contains blank chars. How can I call it from prompt ? Ex: ls $PATH_LOG or cat $PATH_LOG tks, Carmen- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use mimesender to send attachments with spaces in the file names / paths

Hello, I found the mimesender multiple attachment emailing shell script in the FAQ of these forums, and I have been able to use it to send multiple files, but only if they don't have spaces in their file name or path. When I attempt to send a file with spaces in it's name, enclosed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmorra
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help setting variable from file contents with spaces

I suppose the easiest way to explain my problem is to show you some code and then show you what the code outputs: -------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "This line has spaces" > "/tmp/This Filename Has Spaces.txt" export Foo=$(cat "/tmp/This Filename Has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewriting file paths in XML file within bash script

Hi guys, I'm working on a large set of scripts to move files around several servers and manipulate them for our staff. Basically we're shooting things, the videos hit a server and then need organised due to the language they've been shot in. Our XML (designed for Apple's Final Cut Pro) is right... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omfgbunnies
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple file paths in a variable

I am working on a script for Mac OS X that, among many other things, gets a list of all the installed Applications. I am pulling the list from the system_profiler command and formatting it using grep and awk. The problem is that I want to be able to use each result individually later in the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cranfordio
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading directory paths with spaces from a file

Hi I want to know how to handle the spaces in the below scenario. I have a file (CON_zip_path_1.txt) which has some directory paths with spaces in directory names . My requirement is to unzip these zip files to another path. Please see the code below and the error. CON_zip_path_1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any argument containing spaces is enclosed in quotes. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ox Specifies "x" to be the open quote character. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -ex Specifies "x" to be the escape char for metachars. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing spaces are quoted. SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 418: 02 Jan 2008 LESSECHO(1)