Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) File paths with spaces in a variable Post 302738955 by tillett22 on Monday 3rd of December 2012 07:55:21 AM
Old 12-03-2012
That has worked Smilie Thank you !!

So am I quoting in the wrong place? Should I quote when the variable is defined or when it is read

i.e. "$X" and $X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable containing spaces

Hi, my var is: PATH_LOG=/opt/WebSphere/CR Comune Roma.log a filename which contains blank chars. How can I call it from prompt ? Ex: ls $PATH_LOG or cat $PATH_LOG tks, Carmen- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use mimesender to send attachments with spaces in the file names / paths

Hello, I found the mimesender multiple attachment emailing shell script in the FAQ of these forums, and I have been able to use it to send multiple files, but only if they don't have spaces in their file name or path. When I attempt to send a file with spaces in it's name, enclosed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmorra
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help setting variable from file contents with spaces

I suppose the easiest way to explain my problem is to show you some code and then show you what the code outputs: -------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "This line has spaces" > "/tmp/This Filename Has Spaces.txt" export Foo=$(cat "/tmp/This Filename Has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewriting file paths in XML file within bash script

Hi guys, I'm working on a large set of scripts to move files around several servers and manipulate them for our staff. Basically we're shooting things, the videos hit a server and then need organised due to the language they've been shot in. Our XML (designed for Apple's Final Cut Pro) is right... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omfgbunnies
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple file paths in a variable

I am working on a script for Mac OS X that, among many other things, gets a list of all the installed Applications. I am pulling the list from the system_profiler command and formatting it using grep and awk. The problem is that I want to be able to use each result individually later in the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cranfordio
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading directory paths with spaces from a file

Hi I want to know how to handle the spaces in the below scenario. I have a file (CON_zip_path_1.txt) which has some directory paths with spaces in directory names . My requirement is to unzip these zip files to another path. Please see the code below and the error. CON_zip_path_1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
addresses(5)                                                    File Formats Manual                                                   addresses(5)

NAME
addresses - formats for Internet mail addresses INTRODUCTION
A mail address is a string of characters containing @. Every mail address has a local part and a domain part. The domain part is everything after the final @. The local part is everything before. For example, the mail addresses God@heaven.af.mil @heaven.af.mil @at@@heaven.af.mil all have domain part heaven.af.mil. The local parts are God, empty, and @at@. Some domains have owners. It is up to the owner of heaven.af.mil to say how mail messages will be delivered to addresses with domain part heaven.af.mil. The domain part of an address is interpreted without regard to case, so God@heaven.af.mil God@HEAVEN.AF.MIL God@Heaven.AF.Mil all refer to the same domain. There is one exceptional address that does not contain an @: namely, the empty string. The empty string cannot be used as a recipient address. It can be used as a sender address so that the real sender doesn't receive bounces. QMAIL EXTENSIONS
The qmail system allows several further types of addresses in mail envelopes. First, an envelope recipient address without an @ is interpreted as being at envnoathost. For example, if envnoathost is heaven.af.mil, the address God will be rewritten as God@heaven.af.mil. Second, the address #@[] is used as an envelope sender address for double bounces. Third, envelope sender addresses of the form pre@host-@[] are used to support variable envelope return paths (VERPs). qmail-send will re- write pre@host-@[] as prerecip=domain@host for deliveries to recip@domain. Bounces directly from qmail-send will come back to pre@host. CHOOSING MAIL ADDRESSES
Here are some suggestions on choosing mail addresses for the Internet. Do not use non-ASCII characters. Under RFC 822 and RFC 821, these characters cannot be used in mail headers or in SMTP commands. In prac- tice, they are regularly corrupted. Do not use ASCII control characters. NUL is regularly corrupted. CR and LF cannot be used in some combinations and are corrupted in all. None of these characters are usable on business cards. Avoid spaces and the characters "<>()[],;: These all require quoting in mail headers and in SMTP. Many existing mail programs do not handle quoting properly. Do not use @ in a local part. @ requires quoting in mail headers and in SMTP. Many programs incorrectly look for the first @, rather than the last @, to find the domain part of an address. In a local part, do not use two consecutive dots, a dot at the beginning, or a dot at the end. Any of these would require quoting in mail headers. Do not use an empty local part; it cannot appear in SMTP commands. Avoid local parts longer than 64 characters. Be wary of uppercase letters in local parts. Some mail programs (and users!) will incorrectly convert God@heaven.af.mil to god@heaven.af.mil. Be wary of the following characters: $&!#~`'^*|{} Some users will not know how to feed these characters safely to their mail programs. In domain names, stick to letters, digits, dash, and dot. One popular DNS resolver has, under the banner of security, recently begun destroying domain names that contain certain other characters, including underscore. Exception: A dotted-decimal IP address in brackets, such as [127.0.0.1], identifies a domain owned by whoever owns the host at that IP address, and can be used safely. In a domain name, do not use two consecutive dots, a dot at the beginning, or a dot at the end. This means that, when a domain name is broken down into components separated by dots, there are no empty components. Always use at least one dot in a domain name. If you own the mil domain, don't bother using the address root@mil; most users will be unable to send messages to that address. Same for the root domain. Avoid domain names longer than 64 characters. ENCODED ADDRESSES IN SMTP COMMANDS
RFC 821 defines an encoding of mail addresses in SMTP. For example, the addresses God@heaven.af.mil a"quote@heaven.af.mil The Almighty.One@heaven.af.mil could be encoded in RCPT commands as RCPT TO:<God@heaven.af.mil> RCPT TO:<a"quote@heaven.af.mil> RCPT TO:<The Almighty.One@heaven.af.mil> There are several restrictions in RFC 821 on the mail addresses that can be used over SMTP. Non-ASCII characters are prohibited. The local part must not be empty. The domain part must be a sequence of elements separated by dots, where each element is either a component, a sequence of digits preceded by #, or a dotted-decimal IP address surrounded by brackets. The only allowable characters in components are letters, digits, and dashes. Every component must (believe it or not) have at least three characters; the first character must be a let- ter; the last character must not be a hyphen. ENCODED ADDRESSES IN MAIL HEADERS
RFC 822 defines an encoding of mail addresses in certain header fields in a mail message. For example, the addresses God@heaven.af.mil a"quote@heaven.af.mil The Almighty.One@heaven.af.mil could be encoded in a To field as To: God@heaven.af.mil, <@brl.mil:"a"quote"@heaven.af.mil>, "The Almighty".One@heaven.af.mil or perhaps To: < "God"@heaven .af.mil>, "a"quote" (Who?) @ heaven . af. mil , God<"The Almighty.One"@heaven.af.mil> There are several restrictions on the mail addresses that can be used in these header fields. Non-ASCII characters are prohibited. The domain part must be a sequence of elements separated by dots, where each element either (1) begins with [ and ends with ] or (2) is a nonempty string of printable ASCII characters not including any of ".<>()[],;: and not including space. SEE ALSO
envelopes(5), qmail-header(5), qmail-inject(8), qmail-remote(8), qmail-smtpd(8) addresses(5)