Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Execute the ntpdate command only when NTP daemon is stopped? Post 302738855 by fpmurphy on Monday 3rd of December 2012 02:48:30 AM
Old 12-03-2012
Ntpdate adjusts the time on your system in one immediate correction. Ntpd is more subtle; it calculates your system clock drift and continuously adjusts it so that your system maintains more accurate time. Ntpd cannot handle a large clock skew, you need to use ntpdate for that.
This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NTPDATE Command help

I would like to setup date / time sync on Solaris 8 using the command ntpdate. How do I set it up? Thanks Mark (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miredale
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to use Ntpdate to slew the time?

Hi experts, I've a master server which sync to ntp time server daily by using xntpd daemon. Then my client servers will use ntpdate through cron job to synchronize the time hourly. (By using ntpupdate -s -B 'master server') My question is, now I'll need to synchronize to a oracle server which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenzoo
2 Replies

3. SCO

ntpdate problem in Unixware

Hi Guys, A weird problem. I have disabled ntpd daemon on a HP server and placed ntpdate in crontab instead and redirected the log to a file. This command in cron synchronizes the server with a local time server every 15 minutes. The weird part is that on 3 specific times (5:00 am, 10:00 am,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Verifone
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how execute/visit a site using the cron daemon?

hi, i need to execute/visit a site to check if the site is up or not i have a server that have cron shedule that can execute a php file now how can i execute/visite a site using the same way as i execute a file? thanks a lot for your help :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasonx22
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace ntpdate

Hi there, Hi have a group of computers + a server (all debians) connected to each other on a LAN. For some reasons that I've not decided and that I can't change, the computers cannot connect to the net. Moreover, the server has no ntp service. Though, I need to find a way of setting all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

6. Linux

ntp client/daemon sync

All, I need to write a script which can determine if my NTP client is X second off from the NTPD server time. I am looking for a crafty oneliner to calculate the time difference? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Is ntpdate command dependent on ntpd?

Hi, Could someone Please clarify me here: Is ntpdate command a part of ntpd, i mean does ntpdate command a dependent on ntpd? and can ntpdate be run in absence of ntpd service. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup Command gets status Stopped

Good Morning I need your help please, i tried to execute this script using nohup command but it gets in status stopped nohup ./SapInterfases.sh > SapInterfases.log & prodstg02$ jobs + Stopped(SIGTTOU) nohup ./SapInterfases.sh > SapInterfases.log & I check out log: $ more... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
15 Replies
setclock(3C)															      setclock(3C)

NAME
setclock - set value of system-wide clock SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function sets the current value of the specified system-wide clock, supports a of defined in which represents the time-of-day clock for the system. For this clock, the values returned by represent the amount of time since the Epoch. The calling process must have appropriate privileges to set the clock. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns a value of zero; otherwise it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if any of the following conditions are encountered: [EINVAL] does not specify a known system-wide clock, or either is outside the range for a given clock type, or it specifies a nanosecond value less than zero or greater than or equal to 1000 million. [EIO] An error occurred while accessing the clock device. [EPERM] The requesting process does not have the required appropriate privileges to set the specified clock. FILES
SEE ALSO
clocks(2), getclock(3C), gettimer(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
setclock(3C)