Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX career path
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? UNIX career path Post 302738599 by solaris_1977 on Sunday 2nd of December 2012 04:53:55 AM
Old 12-02-2012
UNIX career path

Hi All,
This question is regarding career path. I was not sure about which forum I should drop it, so putting it here.
I have 12 years of experience on UNIX i.e. majority of Solaris and some of Linux (Suse & Red Hat). Since starting I have been working on 100% administration side and I am not from programming or development side, but was able to learn writing small and simple scripts to automate my tasks in my environments.
Its been so many years working on disks, OS, Veritas, Clusters, hardware, remote support, performance bottlenecks in odd hours. I understand that system admin is having endless scope, but I am in India and here profile gets saturated (as well salary) after a point of time. I also want to enhance and learn more on my knowledge. Few of my friends suggested me to go with TOGAF certification/learning (The Open Group Architecture Framework). I tried to google it, but I am not sure if that is correct path to go with, for a Solaris System Admin. Also, I don't see much of help on this on internet and it seems it is more bencficial for Developers, programmers and people who are working on software life-cycle.
I am less keen towards management side, which is adopted by most of technical people here after good 10-12 years of experience. I want to be remain on technical side.
I hope I can get few suggestions on this forum from so experienced people. I would appreciate help.
Regards

Last edited by solaris_1977; 12-02-2012 at 07:09 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path/Change - Cert Help

This is a very serious post. I am a Cell Technician (Cellular Base Station Tech) who is completely bored because my job has basically evolved into a Field Secretary position. I love working on T1's and troubleshooting equipment outages and so on and so forth but my job has become VERY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoopDeVille
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Career Path

Hi, I've been in the IT field for a few years now, less than 10. I've done a little of everything from database administration, development, systems administration, and unix administration. Although, I wouldnt say I'm a senior level in any of those. Unix definitely stands out in my preferences... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
5 Replies

3. Programming

Unix Career path

Hi, I am having experience on Perl and C# and worked as Windows Sytem Admin and now iam planning to become a UNIX developer. I am having knowledge on basic UNIX.. can any one suggest me any good material for c/c++ UNIX programming. on what all things a UNIX Programmer needs to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrareddy1
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career path help

I am working in a company in which my work includes working on Linux nodes. The "uname -arv" command outputs - "Linux clx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux". I generally use various command to stop/start the servers, checking space,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Career path help forum

Hi Admins and Moderators, I am already in job for more than 2 years. I need some guidance in deciding the career path. Please suggest what should be the correct forum to post this to ? Rgrds, Rohit Moved thread to appropriate forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path

First I like to say hi to all the people in this community. The reason I am here is because I am lost and looking for advice on my career path. Here is a short history. I worked in the IT industry for about 10 yrs, sys admin, QA, and developer. During 911 I lost my job. Since then I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navy
4 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Career in Unix

I need some advice regarding my career. I have been working for a major it company in a unix based support project. I have not learnt much in the 2 years except for basics in unix. I am really worried about my career thinking about what would happen next. I always wanted to be a developer but i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2say
10 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path for Admin

Hello, Just wanted to have a suggestion on UNIX carrier path and I couldn't found any proper forum/blog where I can put this question better than this one. I have been working on Solaris from past 13 years and some years on Linux. It was completely on Admin side and never on development or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
12 Replies
AMULED(1)							   aMule Daemon 							 AMULED(1)

NAME
amuled - the all-platform eMule p2p client - daemonized version SYNOPSIS
amuled [-c <path>] [-f] [-p <path>] [-e] [-o] [-r] [-w <path>] [-d] [-i] [-t <num>] [eD2k-link] amuled [-v] amuled [-h] DESCRIPTION
[ -c <path>, --config-dir=<path> ] Read config from <path> instead of home [ -f, --full-daemon ] Forks to background. [ -p <path>, --pid-file=<path> ] After fork, create a pid-file in the <path>. <path> has to contain the filename. [ -e, --ec-config ] Configure EC (External Connections). [ -o, --log-stdout ] Prints log messages to stdout. [ -r, --reset-config ] Resets config to default values. [ -w <path>, --use-amuleweb=<path> ] Specify location of amuleweb binary to <path>. [ -d, --disable-fatal ] Does not handle fatal exception. [ -i, --enable-stdin ] Does not disable stdin. [ -t, --category=<num> ] Set category for passed eD2k links to <num> [ -v, --version ] Displays the current version number. [ -h, --help ] Prints a short usage description. [ eD2k-link ] Adds an eD2k-link to the core. The eD2k link to be added can be: o a file link (ed2k://|file|...), it will be added to the download queue; o a server link (ed2k://|server|...), it will be added to the server list; o a serverlist link, in which case all servers in the list will be added to the server list; o a magnet link. FILES
~/.aMule/* REPORTING BUGS
Please report bugs either on our forum (http://forum.amule.org/), or in our bugtracker (http://bugs.amule.org/). Please do not report bugs in e-mail, neither to our mailing list nor directly to any team member. COPYRIGHT
aMule and all of its related utilities are distributed under the GNU General Public License. SEE ALSO
alcc(1), amule(1), amulecmd(1), amulegui(1), amuleweb(1), cas(1), ed2k(1) AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Vollstrecker <amule@vollstreckernet.de> aMule Daemon v2.3.1 November 2011 AMULED(1)