Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Get the previous month from date Post 302738579 by abhi_123 on Sunday 2nd of December 2012 03:54:58 AM
Old 12-02-2012
Get the previous month from date

Hi All,
I am using the below code to get the year and month from date:
Below gives output like 201212.
Code:
dt=`date '+%Y%m'`

how do i get the previous month value(ie: subtract 1 from date)
example output:
Code:
dt=201211

Please help. Smilie

Last edited by Scott; 12-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file name using previous month

This has probably been asked 100 times, but I couldn't find any articles on point. I have a script that runs on the last day of every month at 11:30pm. If cats a number of input tables that were created the previous month (or earlier), combines them into one master file and erases the indivual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get previous month files

Hi, My task to to delete files which are of previous months. I have files named as follows *CCYYMMDD.xls. on a particular day i have delete previous months files i.e in Dec i have delete all nov files which look like 200511DD.XLS in Jan i have to delete all Dec files 200512DD.xls ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: savitha
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, I need to get the last date of previous month

Hi, I'm new with Unix, I'm trying to get a last day of previous month with this format: %b %d %Y (example: Feb 25 2008). Here is what I have so far. #!/bin/ksh cur_month=`date +%m` cur_year=`date +%Y` prev_month=$(($cur_month-1)) # Check to see if this is January if then ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

needs to display month for previous day date

Hello, I wanted to display the month for previous day date. Like, today date is 18-Nov-2008. So the previous date is 17-Nov-2008. The output should be November. If the today date is 1-DEC-2008, then output should be NOVEMBER. If the today date is 1-JAN-2008, then output should be DECEMBER.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the previous month by using `date`

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting. We've develop a script which will grep a file on the search criteria, MON (Jan/Feb/Mar/etc). But we should set this sript in cron which will run on every first day of the month. The problem I'm having is, when I run the script, it is displaying the contents of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelj
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass the first date and last date of previous month

Hi All, I need to run a job every month at the beginning of the month which is scheduled through autosys, lets say on 03/01/2010. I need to pass the last month's i.e February's first_date = 02/01/2010 and last_date = 02/28/2010 as variables to a stored procedure. Can somebody please pass... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigdmab
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command - getting previous month

Hi, On any given day, I want to capture the month that has gone by - said otherwise, how do I capture last month? expr date '+%m' - 1 Above expression is giving error. Please advise thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:11 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to fetch previous month first date and last date

I am not able to fetch first date and last date previous month date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d I need two format dd-mm-yyy previous month 01-03-2016 previous month 31-03-2016 and also only date 1 to 31 Aprriciate your replay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagu
4 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3hjJpwy] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3hJeo] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -A number Display the number of months after the current month. -B number Display the number of months before the current month. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example ``-3 -A 2 -B 3 -y -m 7'' would mean: show me the three months around the seventh month, three before that, two after that and the whole year. ncal will warn about these combinations. A year starts on January 1. Highlighting of dates is disabled if stdout is not a tty. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD