Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users [SOLVED] Code does not run when assigned to a variable Post 302738273 by newbie2010 on Friday 30th of November 2012 04:53:19 PM
Old 11-30-2012
I got this working for my user input script and am very happy! Thanks to all who helped!Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of command assigned to variable

How do I evaluate the result of a command assigned to a variable?? Example: var1=`cmd` rc=$? rc will be the result of the assignment rather than cmd since it executes after. How do I evaluate the result of the command itself? Cheers..:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: browndr
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable has a value assigned?

Hi, I want to check if a variable has a value assigned to it or not. I can do following - cat $Var > File1 if then echo "$Var has value" else echo "$Var is null" fi But I have to check for 3 Variables and I want to wrap it up in couple of unix statements. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Missing Assigned Variable within logic operator

Hey , I'm trying to perform the following command, however it cannot read the variable assigned earlier. I'm not sure why this happen. Please help thanks while : do echo "what's ur name? (if none just press )" read name changeName = echo $name | sed "s/on/ey/" echo $changeName #this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Variable won't get assigned value

I am making of a script that will go through a couple of for loops and create file names based on the values in that loop, however the variable that combines everything is not getting assigned properly: #! /bin/bash for imod in K33_j1b_WS9_6 do for emod in mb2A mb2C mb3A mb3C mb4A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badinsults
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data assigned to a variable

The requirement is, there is a log file which contains a huge data. i need to get a particular field out of it by searching with another field. ex: 2011-03-28 13:00:07,423 : millis=231 q={ call get_data_account(?,?,?,?,?) }, params= i need to search for the word "get_data_account" in file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you check if a variable has been assigned?

I am trying to check whether a variable has been assigned on the command line or not. Here is what I did: #!/usr/bin/bash if( $variable == '\0') { print "variable was not assigned" exit } else NF = 2 {print $1, ""} exit fi awk -f question1.awk variable = 58 letters.txt. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred63528
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Why code run not correctly

Hi there can anyone help me here is my code echo "Type in a positive number" read X I=2 while do if then echo "It is not prime" break else if then echo "It is prime" break else I=$(( $I + 1)) fi fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval and get awk output assigned to variable

I want to do 2 things in single line that is evaluating a command to get return code and store $2 of awk if the command exit code is 0. eval "ade desc ${filename}@@/<branch_name> | grep Version | awk '{print $2}' 2>&1 1>/dev/null" ret=$? echo "$ret $val" if then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl multiple qr assigned to variable

Experts, I'm having problems with the code below. I'm trying to test $var2 for two different regexs. I thought it could be done per below, but I'm getting the following error when running. $ ./test.pl b fed50c0100**** Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)