Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users [SOLVED] Code does not run when assigned to a variable Post 302738213 by Corona688 on Friday 30th of November 2012 02:39:08 PM
Old 11-30-2012
That is a very big and complicated command. I would try and unwrap that a little, not jam everything on one line.

Also, you can't jam multiple lines of text in a variable and expect them to work right. Quoting them is a bit of a hassle. Save it in a file instead -- that makes it easy to use in a loop or transfer into anything else.

Try this command:

Code:
su nbadmin -c "ssh -t servery exec /bin/sh -s" > /tmp/$$ <<EOF
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C servery -t 19 -l -R -s 11/01/2012 -e 11/01/2012 /vol/root
EOF

echo "Contents of /vol/root"
cat /tmp/$$

rm -f /tmp/$$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of command assigned to variable

How do I evaluate the result of a command assigned to a variable?? Example: var1=`cmd` rc=$? rc will be the result of the assignment rather than cmd since it executes after. How do I evaluate the result of the command itself? Cheers..:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: browndr
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable has a value assigned?

Hi, I want to check if a variable has a value assigned to it or not. I can do following - cat $Var > File1 if then echo "$Var has value" else echo "$Var is null" fi But I have to check for 3 Variables and I want to wrap it up in couple of unix statements. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Missing Assigned Variable within logic operator

Hey , I'm trying to perform the following command, however it cannot read the variable assigned earlier. I'm not sure why this happen. Please help thanks while : do echo "what's ur name? (if none just press )" read name changeName = echo $name | sed "s/on/ey/" echo $changeName #this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Variable won't get assigned value

I am making of a script that will go through a couple of for loops and create file names based on the values in that loop, however the variable that combines everything is not getting assigned properly: #! /bin/bash for imod in K33_j1b_WS9_6 do for emod in mb2A mb2C mb3A mb3C mb4A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badinsults
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data assigned to a variable

The requirement is, there is a log file which contains a huge data. i need to get a particular field out of it by searching with another field. ex: 2011-03-28 13:00:07,423 : millis=231 q={ call get_data_account(?,?,?,?,?) }, params= i need to search for the word "get_data_account" in file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you check if a variable has been assigned?

I am trying to check whether a variable has been assigned on the command line or not. Here is what I did: #!/usr/bin/bash if( $variable == '\0') { print "variable was not assigned" exit } else NF = 2 {print $1, ""} exit fi awk -f question1.awk variable = 58 letters.txt. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred63528
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Why code run not correctly

Hi there can anyone help me here is my code echo "Type in a positive number" read X I=2 while do if then echo "It is not prime" break else if then echo "It is prime" break else I=$(( $I + 1)) fi fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval and get awk output assigned to variable

I want to do 2 things in single line that is evaluating a command to get return code and store $2 of awk if the command exit code is 0. eval "ade desc ${filename}@@/<branch_name> | grep Version | awk '{print $2}' 2>&1 1>/dev/null" ret=$? echo "$ret $val" if then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl multiple qr assigned to variable

Experts, I'm having problems with the code below. I'm trying to test $var2 for two different regexs. I thought it could be done per below, but I'm getting the following error when running. $ ./test.pl b fed50c0100**** Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)					   User Commands				       ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)

NAME
ssh-socks5-proxy-connect - Secure Shell proxy for SOCKS5 SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect [-h socks5_proxy_host] [-p socks5_proxy_port] connect_host connect_port DESCRIPTION
A proxy command for ssh(1) that uses SOCKS5 (RFC 1928). Typical use is where connections external to a network are only allowed via a socks gateway server. This proxy command does not provide any of the SOCKS5 authentication mechanisms defined in RFC 1928. Only anonymous connections are possi- ble. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h socks5_proxy_host Specifies the proxy web server through which to connect. Overrides the SOCKS5_SERVER environment variable. -p socks5_proxy_port Specifies the port on which the proxy web server runs. If not specified, port 80 is assumed. Overrides the SOCKS5_PORT environment variable. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: socks5_proxy_host The host name or IP address (IPv4 or IPv6) of the proxy. socks5_proxy_port The numeric port number to connect to on socks5_proxy_host. connect_host The name of the remote host to which the socks gateway is to connect you. connect_port The numeric port number of the socks gateway to connect you to on connect_host. EXAMPLES
The recommended way to use a proxy connection command is to configure the ProxyCommand in ssh_config(4) (see Example 1 and Example 2). Example 3 shows how the proxy command can be specified on the command line when running ssh(1). Example 1: Setting the proxy from the environment The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect in ssh_config(4) when the proxy is set from the environment: Host playtime.foo.com ProxyCommand /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect playtime.foo.com 22 Example 2: Overriding proxy environment variables The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect in ssh_config(4) to override (or if not set) proxy environment variables: Host playtime.foo.com ProxyCommand /usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect -h socks-gw -p 1080 playtime.foo.com 22 Example 3: Using the command line The following example uses ssh-socks5-proxy-connect from the ssh(1) command line: example$ ssh -o'ProxyCommand=/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-socks5-proxy-connect -h socks-gw -p 1080 playtime.foo.com 22' playtime.foo.com ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SOCKS5_SERVER Takes socks5_proxy_host operand to specify the default proxy host. SOCKS5_PORT Takes socks5_proxy_port operand to specify the default proxy port. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsshu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-http-proxy-connect(1), ssh_config(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 30 Oct 2002 ssh-socks5-proxy-connect(1)