Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multi html download.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multi html download. Post 302738079 by Corona688 on Friday 30th of November 2012 10:15:20 AM
Old 11-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipinajith
Code:
while read URL
do
    wget "$URL" >> download.txt # Downloading URL using wget & appending it to file: download.txt
done < urls_list.dat            # Reading from a file: urls_list.dat which has list of URLs

Good use of while read. You can redirect the entire loop instead of reopening download.txt 1000 times though:
Code:
while read line
do
        wget ...
done > download.txt

wget also has some features which make a loop unnecessary though Smilie

wget is able to read a list of files with -i. The -nv option is also useful, to make it still print completed files without printing all the complicated junk wget usually does.

Code:
wget -nv -i urls_list.dat > download.txt

This should be much faster than calling wget 1000 times since it is able to re-use the same connection if it's connecting to the same site. Concurrency may not be necessary ( and may not be desirable in many cases -- how fast is your connection? ) but if it is, I'd split the list into parts and use wget -i on those parts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multi-file multi-edit

Good day! I am trying to learn how to use the "sed" editor, to perform multiple edits on multiple files in multiple directories. I have one script that tries to call up each file and process it according to the edits listed in a second script. I am using a small input text to test these, at... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kielitaide
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi User Multi Task

Dear Experts Why we always hear that unix operating system is Multi User and Multi task. What does these two means. I have looked at some books and documents but couldn't find aclear explenation. Can we say Windows operating system is also multi user and multi task?? Thanks for your help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
6 Replies

3. AIX

Multi Link Interface Runtime - where to download ?

Hello, I need "devices.common.IBM.ml 1.4.0.0 C F Multi Link Interface Runtime" to be installed on my machine. I need it for two SAN cards to work correctly. Where do I get it ? thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Send HTML body and HTML attachment using MUTT command

Hi there.. I need a proper "mutt" command to send a mail with html body and html attachment at a time. Also if possible let me know the other commands to do this task. Please help me.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

download an html file via wget and pass it to mysql and update a database

CAN I download an html file via wget and pass it to mysql and update a database field? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapasainfo
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substract selective values in multi row, multi column file (using awk or sed?)

Hi, I have a problem where I need to make this input: nameRow1a,text1a,text2a,floatValue1a,FloatValue2a,...,floatValue140a nameRow1b,text1b,text2b,floatValue1b,FloatValue2b,...,floatValue140b look like this output: nameRow1a,text1b,text2a,(floatValue1a - floatValue1b),(floatValue2a -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nricardo
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mutt for html body and multiple html & pdf attachments

Hi all: Been racking my brain on this for the last couple of days and what has been most frustrating is that this is the last piece I need to complete a project. There are numerous posts discussing mutt in this forum and others but I have been unable to find similar issues. Running with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Download dynamic generated image from HTML page

I've an HTML page where the pie chart is generated with google java code with the required input values in UNIX. The HMTL page is generated in UNIX and then when it loads in browser, the code is interpreted thought internet and the pie chart is generated. This is done by the java code in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies

9. Programming

Multi head/multi window hello world

I am trying to write a large X app. I have successfully modified my xorg.conf to setup 4 monitors on an NVIDIA Quatro5200. I am trying to modify a simple hello world application to open a window on three of the four monitors. depending on the changes to loop the window creation section and event... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: advorak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies
LWP-DOWNLOAD(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)

NAME
lwp-download - Fetch large files from the web SYNOPSIS
lwp-download [-a] [-s] <url> [<local path>] DESCRIPTION
The lwp-download program will save the file at url to a local file. If local path is not specified, then the current directory is assumed. If local path is a directory, then the last segment of the path of the url is appended to form a local filename. If the url path ends with slash the name "index" is used. With the -s option pick up the last segment of the filename from server provided sources like the Content- Disposition header or any redirect URLs. A file extension to match the server reported Content-Type might also be appended. If a file with the produced filename already exists, then lwp-download will prompt before it overwrites and will fail if its standard input is not a terminal. This form of invocation will also fail is no acceptable filename can be derived from the sources mentioned above. If local path is not a directory, then it is simply used as the path to save into. If the file already exists it's overwritten. The lwp-download program is implemented using the libwww-perl library. It is better suited to down load big files than the lwp-request program because it does not store the file in memory. Another benefit is that it will keep you updated about its progress and that you don't have much options to worry about. Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems. EXAMPLE
Fetch the newest and greatest perl version: $ lwp-download http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz Saving to 'latest.tar.gz'... 11.4 MB received in 8 seconds (1.43 MB/sec) AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.16.2 2012-01-13 LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)