Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with ask adding columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with ask adding columns Post 302737617 by pamu on Thursday 29th of November 2012 09:51:49 AM
Old 11-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homa
Thanks a lot. Could you please explain these two parts of the code:

Code:
substr($8,1,1)
gsub(" +"," ",$0)
NF-=2;

I think you have edited your previous input....Smilie

As per your previous input i have considered as you want only first digit of $8.

That's why i used substr()

substr($8,1,1) - Prints only first digit of $8

gsub(" +"," ",$0) - Replaces multiple spaces with single space. To get the FS as single space.Smilie

NF-=2 - Here we need to remove last two numbers. That's why we have edited NF to NF-2. So NF is reduced by 2.

As per your current input you can remove that substr()Smilie

use

Code:
awk '{ $1=$1+$7+$(NF-1);$2=$2+$8+$NF;$7=$8="";gsub(" +"," ",$0);NF-=2;}1' file

This User Gave Thanks to pamu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding columns in csv

I have the following data in FILE1.CSV: code: Amount1: Amount2: xxxxx ,, 200 ,,400 yyxxa ,,200 bbcgu ,,2500 ,,300 i want to be able to produce the following FILE2.CSV: code: Amount xxxxx ,, 600... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chachabronson
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding columns to a file

I want to select the first column from a daily file called foo.csv. The result is written to file foo.txt. Currently the following script is used for that: cut -d, -f 1 foo.csv > foo.txt A typical result would yield : A12 A45 B11 B67 What needs to happen in addition is that two columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding columns

Hey everyone! I have a need to add 2 files together as columns. For instance, I have one file that has several rows of data and I want to take data from another file and add Line 1 to the end of Line1 in the first file file1 line1.........file2 line1 file1 line2.........file2 line2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns of two files

Hello everyone, I have two files containing 6 columns and thousands of rows. I want to add them (i.e. first column of first file + first column of second file and so on) and print the output in a third file. Can you please help me. Thanks a lot (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandra321
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding loads of columns

Hi All, I've got file1 like this: aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh kkk ppp mmm nnn and file 2 like this: aaa qqq www ddd fff ggg ggg sss zzz ppp vvv yyy and file 3 like this: aaa ggg ppp I need to match the first column of file3 and file1, then add the rest of the file 1 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting and adding columns

i have a file with two columns, and i want to uniquely sort the values in fist column and add the corresponding values in the second columns eg file a contents tom 200 john 300 sow 500 tom 800 james 50 sow 300 output shpould be in file b as tom 1000 john 300 sow 800 james 50 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns of time

Hello all, I'm in the process of writing a script, and I need to be able to add columns of time in the following format (time elapsed Net Backup logs): 000:01:03 000:00:58 000:00:49 Does anyone have a way of converting and/or adding timestamps such as these accurately? Thanks in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns with values dependent on existing columns

Hello I have a file as below chr1 start ref alt code1 code2 chr1 18884 C CAAAA 2 0 chr1 135419 TATACA T 2 0 chr1 332045 T TTG 0 2 chr1 453838 T TAC 2 0 chr1 567652 T TG 1 0 chr1 602541 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plumb_r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns from 2 files with variable number of columns

I have two files, file1 and file2 who have identical number of rows and columns. However, the script is supposed to be used for for different files and I cannot know the format in advance. Also, the number of columns changes within the file, some rows have more and some less columns (they are... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: maya3
13 Replies