Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5300-05-06-0000 to 5300-09-00-0846 FAILED Post 302735353 by bakunin on Saturday 24th of November 2012 01:03:11 PM
Old 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberatti
My doubt, is there a bos.adt.lib 5.3.9.0 on this TL ? why can't I install it
It might be that the update requires a fileset to be installed which was not necessary before. Maybe this is the case here. Filesets come in two flavours: base level and update. Update-types you can only install if you meet the requirements (prerequisites, ...) and have the base-level fileset installed. Base-level filesets can only be installed from an installation disk (either directly, from the medium, or indirectly, from a copy of the medium you took - like when you put the content of the medium to a NIM server). Base level filesets cannot be downloaded via the internet, because you could then download AIX in an unlimited way.

Search your installation medium (or, see above, the copy you created) for the respective base level filesets, install these, then install update filesets until they are at the required level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFelt
I would recommend using SUMA to get the updates, and update to 5.3 TL12 as that was the last level supported.
Michael, i respect your efforts to help others here. Still, if you look carefully at your answer you will notice that it is no answer to thread-o/ps question at all, but a work-around at best and an attempt to promote your site at worst.

There is nothing wrong with using SUMA (i haven't used it in my 20 years of AIX, but that doesn't mean anything - there are many ways to skin a cat) and there is nothing wrong with suggesting its usage - but as long as the underlying question ("why can't i ...") is not answered, basically with some "because of ...", suggestions of methods fall short.

We had people here who would invariably write "use SMIT" into almost any thread. While SMIT is surely a great tool and there is nothing wrong with using (or suggesting) it, every question deserves an answer which ideally makes the one asking understand why the described problem did occur and how to solve it.

I suggest you think over your intentions for being here: if you just want to advertise your site please talk to Neo and i am sure you can strike some deal. If you truly want to help others please give the substantial and educating explanations an expert like you is surely capable of. Thank you.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

/PS: Some info about installp-files, because the above might be a bit confusing.

bff-("Backup File Format")-files are of one of two types: "Single Update" and "Install". It is possible that for the same version/revision both types exist, which is why it isn't sufficient to know that a fileset is of a certain version. You still won't know what you can do with the fileset you have (install it anywhere or only update already installed filesets).

The difference between the two can be seen in the ".toc" file: to create it go to the directory where the fileset is stored and enter inutoc . to create it. The following is an example output, the relevant difference marked bold:

Code:
$ installp -ld . |grep -p fence.blade
 rsct.opt.fence.blade    2.4.9.0                I  N usr
#   RSCT BLADE Fence Agent
$
$ cd ../update
$ installp -ld .  |grep -p fence.blade
  rsct.opt.fence.blade    2.4.9.0               S  N usr
#   RSCT BLADE Fence Agent

It is therefore good practice to always store packages under their full package name. This name will end with "I" for installable ones and "U" (or sometimes "S", for reasons unknown) for single updates. The following command will do this:

Code:
bffcreate -c -d <source_device/path>

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 11-24-2012 at 07:18 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

skgpspawn failed running oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on aix 5.3

Hi, I am running an oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on ibm p5 550 aix 5.3 with 10g ram, 10G swap space 3 database instances each SGA about 500Meg. I am getting the following error in my alert log file from time to time: skgpspawn failed:category = 27142, depinfo = 11, op = fork, loc = skgpspawn3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hawkerpacific
0 Replies

2. AIX

PHP Installation on AIX Failed

The 'make install' is broken for AIX! Help Me!!!! :confused::confused::eek::eek: Reproduce code: --------------- # make install echo '\ \ Installing PHP SAPI module: apache2handler /usr/local/apache/build/instdso.sh SH_LIBTOOL='/usr/local/apache/build/libtool' libphp5.la... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rodrimartins
1 Replies

3. AIX

Issue "Error 404" when upgrade AIX 5300-05-CSP-0000 to AIX (5300-09-02-0849)

Please read my issue! My old server using: - AIX system operating (5300-05-CSP-0000) - WebSphere 6.1.0.21 (Fix Pack 21) After I've upgraded version AIX - AIX system operating (5300-09-02-0849) - WebSphere 6.1.0.21 (Fix Pack 21) I have 1 issue when I access home page: "Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamonhon
0 Replies

4. AIX

HACMP 5.4 with AIX 5300-10 not working

I have two IBM_9110-51A boxes OS - fresh installs 5764-G03 TL 5300-10-00 disks dated 5/2009 HACMP - fresh installs HACMP for AIX 5L Base V5.4 5765-F62 dated 7/2006 Bottom line for smit output attempting 2 node cluster config ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrKillPatient
2 Replies

5. AIX

Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on AIX 5300-07

Seek help from all of the experts here. Database Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 run on AIX 5300-07. The system is running so slow that sometime 1 click of changing screen will take more than 5 minutes. The hardware in this LPAR is 6CPUs, 21GB-RAM, 42GB-Paging and run on p570 server POWER 5+. And the vmo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
2 Replies

6. AIX

Failed update AIX 6.1

Hi, I have problem with update AIX in ML 01 to ML 04. I am new in AIX system, please help me how resolve this problem. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
2 Replies

7. AIX

How to install AIX Fix Pack 5300-06-06-0811

Hi All, I have this fix for AIX (5300-06-06-0811) and i need to install it. How can i do this? What are the prerequisites for this fix? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucaxvu
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 6.1 New SP&TL 6.1.8.0 upgrade failed

Hello Team, Hope all doing well. I have tried to upgrade on of my AIX box too the latest SP and TL, but unfortunately it's got failed(Details are below). Need expert help to fix this. Before up-gradation : root@# oslevel -s 6100-07-01-1141 root@# instfix -i | grep ML All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

9. AIX

Openssh install failed on AIX 6.1

im new to aix... my task is suppose to be simple. install openssh i followed this article: Installing OpenSSH and OpenSSL on AIX 6.1 | Keymon's snippets and brushstrokes when i try to start the sshd service with the command: "startsrc -s sshd" im getting an error saying: "the sshd subsystem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy3145
6 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 6.1 lppchk failed

Hi, i have problem when i try to check consist of system, and I can't fix it.. outut of lppchk -v below.. oslevel -s 6100-00-01-0748 lppchk -v lppchk: The following filesets need to be installed or corrected to bring the system to a consistent state: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intak
2 Replies