Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill all child process of a script Post 302735281 by maaaaarco on Saturday 24th of November 2012 05:27:28 AM
Old 11-24-2012
Finally i decided to use kill 0 option and run my script in interactive mode, by putting this line in the .desktop file

Terminal=trueso when my script execute the kill 0 command does not kill all the current system process....

If someone can get ride of it please let me know Smilie

See you man, and thx for help !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to kill all child process for a given PID

Is there any build in command in unix to kill all the child process for a given process ID ? If any one has script or command, please let me know. Thanks Sanjay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill process

Hello guys, I have a process named monitoreo, with 'monitoreo start' my process start until i kill them, now i want to do 'monitoreo stop' to kill them. After 'monitoreo start' i have this process running: ps -af UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD ati 10958 1495 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill process...

hello Bros, I need to write some script that i can put it on crontab which checks for a process X if running. If the process X is ruuning then take the PID and kill it or display message that says process X is not running. I am using AIX 5.3 Thanks guys.:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill a Process by Name...

Hello all... new to these forums and a bit of a newbie with linux aswell. I need to figure out how to write a shell script to kill a process by name as given to the script as an argument. I've got that part working OK, but i need to make sure that the script does not allow processes that are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cannon1707
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to get child process for a process

!/bin/sh pid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}') sid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $3}') ps -s "$sid" I am not able to get the desired output it says process list error if i use watch ps -s "$sid" it considers only the first session id (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schippada
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill a child script if it takes more than 10 minutes?

Hi all, I have a query on killing a child process, if it takes more than 10 minutes myparent.sh has the following #!/bin/sh echo "My Parent Script" home/guru/initiateServer.sh The initiateServer is a child process and this might take 20 or more minutes to return. I want to kill this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruincredible
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

System should not kill the child process when parent id is 1

HI i would like to know how i can simulate a shell scripts for my requirement. example Server name child Process id Parent Process id Vpesh 16013 15637 Server name child Process id Parent Process id Vpesh 16014 15637 Server name child... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vpesh
1 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - create a new process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void) DESCRIPTION
Fork causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process except for the following: The child process has a unique process ID. The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. The child starts with no pending signals and an inactive alarm timer. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, fork returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Fork will fail and no child process will be created if one or more of the following are true: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration- dependent. (The kernel variable NR_PROCS in <minix/config.h> (Minix), or <minix/const.h> (Minix-vmd).) [ENOMEM] There is insufficient (virtual) memory for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), wait(2). 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 FORK(2)