Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Questions about setting up GPFS Post 302733169 by jstnobdy on Monday 19th of November 2012 11:02:25 PM
Old 11-20-2012
Hello!

To your first question, GPFS is a full device allocation, therefore, anything you wish to allocate will be consumed as an NSD.

Regarding your second question, yes, that disk is more than likely empty and therefore can be used for GPFS.

Finally, GPFS can run on one node (a single node quorum) and can have additional nodes added to it later. Make sure you have good time synchronization (xntpd) and decent performing disk storage.

Best regards,
jstnobdy

---------- Post updated at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:57 PM ----------

One more thing, GPFS is pretty tolerant, just make sure you define "dataOnly" and "metadataOnly" disks when you create your NSDs (mmcrnsd). In this case, allocate 'x'-amount of storage for dataOnly NSDs and a relatively small disk for metadataOnly.

Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know.
This User Gave Thanks to jstnobdy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting com port questions

I have a piece of equipment, a Baytech RPC-3, that I need to communicate with through the com port. I normally use this equipment at home and am able to connect to it without problems using FC5 and minicom; I brought the equipment into work and cannot get my pc, using Suse 10 and minicom to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
0 Replies

2. AIX

two gpfs in one node issue

dear all can i create two gpfs in one node each gpfs is pointing to single hdiskpower (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

3. AIX

SSD with GPFS ?

Hi, does anyone here happen to know if I could run GLVM or GPFS on Solid State Disks? I have a high volume / high transaction Sybase HACMP cluster currently setup with SRDF to the DR datacentre. My business now considers to move everything to SSD storage but we still need to get the data to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
0 Replies

4. AIX

AIX GPFS Setup

:cool:Hello, can someone guide me how to create a GPFS filesystem, I've read a couple of redbooks however certain things are still not certain, like if you require to download files or licenses... any help would be appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollie01
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to configure new hdisk such that it has a gpfs fs on it and is added to a running gpfs cluster?

Hi, I have a running GPFS cluster. For one every mountpoint that i have created i have one disk assigned to it. That disk is converted to an NSD and is a part of the GPFS Cluster. Now i have a new disk and there is this requirement to add it to the GPFS cluster, such that this becomes an NSD.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
1 Replies

6. AIX

GPFS

Hello I am interested if anybody uses GPFS and is it must to have GPFS in the POWERHA environment? and can GPFS work as cluster active active or active passive thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
0 Replies

7. AIX

GPFS 3.3

Dear all for the last few days i was searching in IBM web site for GPFS 3.3 to upgrade my gpfs from 3.2 to 3.3 and i did not find the download link for the GPFS 3.3 in IBM website please can anyone give me the link . (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. AIX

How to get rid of GPFS ?

Hi We are doing the migration of DMX3 disks to DMX4 disks using migratepv. We are not using GPFS but we have gpfs disks present in the server. Can anyone advise how to get rid of GPFS in both the servers cbspsrdb01 and cbspsrdb02. I will do migratepv for the other disks present in the servers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

9. AIX

GPFS is too slow after installtion

we have implement GPFS 3.5.0.10 with 4 nodes cluster AIX 6.1 TL8 and they VIO clients , after that we noticed a big delay while we execute any command like mmgetstate -a will take about 2.5 minutes . time mmgetstate -a Node number Node name GPFS state ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. AIX

Difference between NFS and GPFS

Hello Gurus, Could you please help me out of the difference between GPFS and NFS. Thanks- P (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
1 Replies
VFS_GPFS(8)						    System Administration tools 					       VFS_GPFS(8)

NAME
vfs_gpfs - gpfs specific samba extensions like acls and prealloc SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = gpfs DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The gpfs VFS module is the home for all gpfs extensions that Samba requires for proper integration with GPFS. It uses the GPL library interfaces provided by GPFS. Currently the gpfs vfs module provides extensions in following areas : o NFSv4 ACL Interfaces with configurable options for GPFS o Kernel oplock support on GPFS o Lease support on GPFS NOTE:This module follows the posix-acl behaviour and hence allows permission stealing via chown. Samba might allow at a later point in time, to restrict the chown via this module as such restrictions are the responsibility of the underlying filesystem than of Samba. This module is stackable. OPTIONS
nfs4:mode = [ simple | special ] Enable/Disable substitution of special IDs on GPFS. This parameter should not affect the windows users in anyway. It only ensures that Samba sets the special IDs - OWNER@ and GROUP@ ( mappings to simple uids ) that are relevant to GPFS. The following MODEs are understood by the module: o simple(default) - do not use special IDs in GPFS ACEs o special - use special IDs in GPFS ACEs. nfs4:acedup = [dontcare|reject|ignore|merge] This parameter configures how Samba handles duplicate ACEs encountered in GPFS ACLs. GPFS allows/creates duplicate ACE for different bits for same ID. Following is the behaviour of Samba for different values : o dontcare (default) - copy the ACEs as they come o reject - stop operation and exit with error on ACL set op o ignore - don't include the second matching ACE o merge - bitwise OR the 2 ace.flag fields and 2 ace.mask fields of the 2 duplicate ACEs into 1 ACE nfs4:chown = [yes|no] This parameter allows enabling or disabling the chown supported by the underlying filesystem. This parameter should be enabled with care as it might leave your system insecure. Some filesystems allow chown as a) giving b) stealing. It is the latter that is considered a risk. Following is the behaviour of Samba for different values : o yes - Enable chown if as supported by the under filesystem o no (default) - Disable chown EXAMPLES
A GPFS mount can be exported via Samba as follows : [samba_gpfs_share] vfs objects = gpfs path = /test/gpfs_mount nfs4: mode = special nfs4: acedup = merge CAVEATS
The gpfs gpl libraries are required by gpfs VFS module during both compilation and runtime. Also this VFS module is tested to work on SLES 9/10 and RHEL 4.4 VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.0.25 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The GPFS VFS module was created with contributions from Volker Lendecke and the developers at IBM. This manpage was created by the IBM FSCC team Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 VFS_GPFS(8)