Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add a newline after every period Post 302733143 by Chubler_XL on Monday 19th of November 2012 09:57:39 PM
Old 11-19-2012
Try this:

Code:
sed -e 's/\.  */.\n/g' -e 's/\.$/.\n/g' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed to find a pattern and add newline

Hello All, I have log file the result from a multithreaded process. So when a process finishes it will write to this log file as 123 rows merged. The issue is sometimes the processess finish at the same time or write to the file at the same time as 123 rows merged.145 rows merged. At... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssikhar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add newline in file after finding specific text

Hi All, I am tring to insert a newline with "/" in a text file whenever there is the text "end;" right now I have inside file: . . end; I want to have: . . end; / I tried doing the following within the file :g/^end;/s//end; \/ / (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add newline to regex

I have a perl script that runs a program and puts the output of the program into a variable. The output of the file looks like: Statistics 0 AverageTime: Statistics 0 AverageTime: I'm trying to run a regular express against this to pull out the first value in each of the parens... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boomn4x4
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add newline before and after a special character?

So I have a file that contains >NM_#########AUGCAUCGUAGCUAGUCGAUACUGGACUG>NM_########AUGAGUAUGUAUGAUGUAUGUAUGA where # is any digit 0-9 (the text is many repetitions of the pattern above, not just that, but all in one line), and I want it to show >NM_#########... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X sed, add newline after pattern

Hi, I've been trying to work out how to add a new line to a file when the pattern matches .dmg. I've been searching Google but yet not found a working solution. Help would be appreciated... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pburge
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add newline character at end of file?

Hi All, I have following piece of code in UNIX C Shell script and I want to add one more command which can add newline at the end of file only if there is no newline character exists. foreach file (`ls $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN`) if ( -f $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN/${file} ) then cat -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add newline before another line of occurance

Hi , I have a file like I want to add a new line before "Realized" only when it comes after "Sheep". There may be any line betwwen "Sheep" and "Realized" other than this two. Say my new line is "a goat", so the desired result would be Can any body help me in this? thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arup1980
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Occurrences of if a value in 24 hr period

The following is a sample of the data I am working with: ID#___Hour ID=10008 19 ID=10008 20 ID=10014 19 ID=10014 20 ID=21047 20 Need to get the following output: ID#_______0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23 ID=10008 ------------------**--- ID=10014 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c@rlos
4 Replies
MAKE_SOCKDFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)

NAME
make_sockdfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
make_sockdfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_sockdfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS server and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/sockd.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/sockd.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/sockd.fc first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/sockd.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_sockdfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_sockdfc. FILES
/etc/sockd.fc, /etc/sockd.conf SEE ALSO
dump_sockdfc(8), sockd.conf(5), sockd.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@best.com or yingda@esd.sgi.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)