Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Questions about setting up GPFS Post 302733131 by bstring on Monday 19th of November 2012 09:42:32 PM
Old 11-19-2012
Questions about setting up GPFS

Hello, I need to test whether our product will work with GPFS filesystems and I have some questions regarding the setup:

1. Do I need to dedicate an entire hard disk if I want to have GPFS on it? Or can I somehow split a disk into 2 virtual disks, and only use 1 for gpfs?
2. If lspv returns "none" that means the disk is connected but has not been allocated, and thus available for use in GPFS setup?
Example (hdisk3):
Code:
[root@aix01: /]# lspv
hdisk0          00ca0c3546524b4e                    rootvg          active
hdisk1          00ca0c35797dab06                    vg1             active
hdisk2          00ca0c35797daba9                    vg1             active
hdisk3          none                                None
hdisk4          00ca0c35645c51bf                    san1            active
hdisk5          00ca0c3564646ef3                    san2            active

3. Do I have to have a second node in order to create a cluster and create a gpfs on that cluster? Or can I start with one node (just to test functionality) and add a second node later? (basically, can I use that one system above with hdisk3 available to test gpfs on its own?)

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting com port questions

I have a piece of equipment, a Baytech RPC-3, that I need to communicate with through the com port. I normally use this equipment at home and am able to connect to it without problems using FC5 and minicom; I brought the equipment into work and cannot get my pc, using Suse 10 and minicom to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
0 Replies

2. AIX

two gpfs in one node issue

dear all can i create two gpfs in one node each gpfs is pointing to single hdiskpower (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

3. AIX

SSD with GPFS ?

Hi, does anyone here happen to know if I could run GLVM or GPFS on Solid State Disks? I have a high volume / high transaction Sybase HACMP cluster currently setup with SRDF to the DR datacentre. My business now considers to move everything to SSD storage but we still need to get the data to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
0 Replies

4. AIX

AIX GPFS Setup

:cool:Hello, can someone guide me how to create a GPFS filesystem, I've read a couple of redbooks however certain things are still not certain, like if you require to download files or licenses... any help would be appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollie01
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to configure new hdisk such that it has a gpfs fs on it and is added to a running gpfs cluster?

Hi, I have a running GPFS cluster. For one every mountpoint that i have created i have one disk assigned to it. That disk is converted to an NSD and is a part of the GPFS Cluster. Now i have a new disk and there is this requirement to add it to the GPFS cluster, such that this becomes an NSD.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
1 Replies

6. AIX

GPFS

Hello I am interested if anybody uses GPFS and is it must to have GPFS in the POWERHA environment? and can GPFS work as cluster active active or active passive thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
0 Replies

7. AIX

GPFS 3.3

Dear all for the last few days i was searching in IBM web site for GPFS 3.3 to upgrade my gpfs from 3.2 to 3.3 and i did not find the download link for the GPFS 3.3 in IBM website please can anyone give me the link . (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. AIX

How to get rid of GPFS ?

Hi We are doing the migration of DMX3 disks to DMX4 disks using migratepv. We are not using GPFS but we have gpfs disks present in the server. Can anyone advise how to get rid of GPFS in both the servers cbspsrdb01 and cbspsrdb02. I will do migratepv for the other disks present in the servers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

9. AIX

GPFS is too slow after installtion

we have implement GPFS 3.5.0.10 with 4 nodes cluster AIX 6.1 TL8 and they VIO clients , after that we noticed a big delay while we execute any command like mmgetstate -a will take about 2.5 minutes . time mmgetstate -a Node number Node name GPFS state ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. AIX

Difference between NFS and GPFS

Hello Gurus, Could you please help me out of the difference between GPFS and NFS. Thanks- P (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
1 Replies
VFS_TSMSM(8)						    System Administration tools 					      VFS_TSMSM(8)

NAME
vfs_tsmsm - VFS module for handling offline files with Tivoli Storage Manager Space Management SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = tsmsm DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The tsmsm VFS module is an extension for handling offline files with Tivoli Storage Manager Space Management. It tries to avoid calling expensive DMAPI calls with some heuristics based on the fact that number of blocks reported of a file multiplied by 512 will be bigger than 'online ratio' of actual size for online (non-migrated) files. If heuristic check fails, the module calls DMAPI and asks for a specific attribute which is present for offline (migrated) files. If this attribute presents, the file is considered offline. This module is not stackable. OPTIONS
tsmsm:hsm script = [ path to hsm script ] hsm script should point to a shell script which accepts two arguments: operation and filepath. the tsmsm module only uses "offline" for operation to set the file under filepath offline. tsmsm:online ratio = [ number ] Ratio to check reported size against actual file size. The default value is 0.5. tsmsm:dmapi attribute = [ attribute-name ] Name of a DMAPI attribute that is present when a file is offline. The default is "IBMobj" (which is what GPFS uses). tsmsm:dmapi value = [ value for the DMAPI attribute ] Value that the DMAPI attribute should have for the file to be considered offline. The default is empty (no value required). EXAMPLES
A GPFS mount with TSM support can be exported via Samba as follows: [gpfs_tsm_share] vfs objects = tsmsm gpfs path = /test/gpfs_mount VERSION
This man page is correct for version 4.0 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 VFS_TSMSM(8)