Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing values from file into array in Bash Post 302732883 by Corona688 on Monday 19th of November 2012 10:12:13 AM
Old 11-19-2012
It would be far better to use this as a stream than to jam them all into shell variables. That is very inefficient and won't be portable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting: multiple values from file passing to command

one of my colleagues has this question. he has a command, C_CMD which accepts 4 variables, $1 $2 $3 $4 he wants to load up a file with multiple rows, one row per set of variables and then iteratively execute the command based on the content of the file. example: at the command line you'd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store the values in a file into an array

Hi, I do have a file and the contents are as follws: 10 20 30 40 50 Now I want to store those values into an array. How can be done this ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH - KSH] Passing array to a function

Passing a array to a function, a basic feature in modern language, seems to be only possible in KSH. Not in BASH. Depite all my efforts I couldn't come to a solution. See the following examples: It works perfectly in KSH: #!/usr/bin/ksh function print_array { # assign array by indirect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a file handler and an array from Perl to Shell Script

Hi there, I am trying to call a shell script from a Perl script. here is the code: @args = ("sh", "someshellprg.sh", "a file handler", "an array"); system(@args) == 0 or die "system @args failed: $?"; in the shell program, I examine if the arguments exits using: if then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkgladiator
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] passing array to function

Hi, I'm trying to write a function that reassigns an array to another local array but the method used in reassigning the array reformats the contents of the array which is what I am trying to prevent. The method used to load a file into an array works as expected and the entire array is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping array values in Bash like Perl

Hi, Is there an easy way to simulate following Perl code in Bash. if ( grep {$my_value eq $_} @ARGV ){ print "Do Something\n"; } else { die "Invalid value"; } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Passing An Array

Good grief so this should be easy. Passing an array as an argument to a function. Here is the sample code: #/bin/bash function foo { local p1=${1} local p2=(${2}) local p3=${3} echo p1 is $p1 echo p2 is $p2 echo p3 is $p3 } d1=data1 d2=data2 a=(bat bar baz) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing values to an XML file from shell script

:wall: Hi, I have an XML file with 5 tags. I need to pass values to the XML file from a shell script that will replace values in 2 of the tags. I cannot hardcode the tag values in XML and use replace command in script as the values are likely to change. Please help !!!!!!!!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monalisaa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Values rotation in array with bash

Hello :) I created a little script that allow to make a rotation of values in an array. The goal was to shift the values to the right and that the last value of the array became the first value in order to create a rotation. The purpose of the exercice was to do it without using a temporary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexy
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Values rotation in array with bash

Hello :) I created a little script that allow to make a rotation of values in an array. The goal was to shift the values to the right and that the last value of the array became the first value in order to create a rotation. The purpose of the exercice was to do it without using a temporary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexy
6 Replies
BASHBUG(1)							      bashbug								BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--help] [--version] [bug-report-email-addresses] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a utility for reporting bugs in Bash to the maintainers. bashbug will start up your preferred editor with a preformatted bug report template for you to fill in. Save the file and quit the editor once you have completed the missing fields. bashbug will notify you of any problems with the report and ask for confirmation before sending it. By default the bug report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. The recipients can be changed by giving a comma separated list of bug-report-email-addresses. If you invoke bashbug by accident, just quit your editor. You will always be asked for confirmation before a bug report is sent. OPTIONS
--help Show a brief usage message and exit. --version Show the version of bashbug and exit. bug-report-email-addresses Comma separated list of recipients' email addresses. By default the report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. ENVIRONMENT
DEFEDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report. EDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report (overridden by DEFEDITOR). SEE ALSO
bash(1), reportbug(1), update-alternatives(8) for preferred editor. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christer Andersson <klamm@comhem.se> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). GNU Bash 3.1 11 December 2007 BASHBUG(1)