Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Help correcting file with differing number of fields Post 302732875 by torchij on Monday 19th of November 2012 09:54:47 AM
Old 11-19-2012
works great, thanks so much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sorting by several fields

Hello, I have a file with information separated by ";" like this: ABC;20110126000008;00-10-95-29-17-C6;2;37190292 ABC;20110126000008;00-10-95-29-17-C6;1;53140866 ABC;20110126000008;00-10-05-01-11-38;2;11182251 ABC;20110126000008;00-10-05-01-11-38;1;25952816... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubber08
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of fields in a text file as a variable - perl

I am looking for perl code to get following o/p. If a line has more than 7 fields then value in field 7 onwards is BHA_GRP1, BHA_GRP2, BHA_GRP3, BHA_GRP4 etc. Here is example of what I am trying to achieve. INPUT File: VAH NIC_TYPE CONFIG SIZE_GB PILO KOM BHA_GRP1 BHA_GRP2 BHA_GRP3...... 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dynamax
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem while counting number of fields in TAB delimited file

I'm facing a strange problem, please help me out. Here we go. I want to count number of fields in particular file. filename and delimiter character will be passed through parameter. On command prompt if i type following i get 27 as output (which is correct) cat customer.dat | head -1 | awk... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikanna
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

separate the file according to the number of fields

I have a file which is delimetered by ',' i need to filter out a file with respect to the number of fileds in each line. a,s,d,f,g,h,j,k,l 1,2,3,3,4,5,6,7,6 a,2,3 4,5,6,7 in this i neeed to filter out the lines with 8 column to another file and rest to another file. so ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma (,) delimited file, in which few fields are enclosed with in double quotes " ". I have to print the records in the file which donot have expected number of field with the line number. File1 ==== name,desgnation,doj,project #header#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Number of Fields with the line number

Hi, How to print the number of fields in each record with the line number? Lets saw I have 3212|shipped|received| 3213|shipped|undelivered| 3214|shipped|received|delivered I tried the code awk -F '|' '{print NF}' This gives me ouput as 3 3 4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add number of fields throughout file together?

So, I have three problems that cover this subject. First one asks me to find the number of fields in the file that contain the substring "he". I found the number of fields, but the problem I have is that they are displaying by each record. I want to add all of the records' fields together. With... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mc10
2 Replies
qmail-header(5) 						File Formats Manual						   qmail-header(5)

NAME
qmail-header - format of a mail message OVERVIEW
At the top of every mail message is a highly structured header. Many programs expect the header to carry certain information, as described below. The main function of qmail-inject is to make sure that each outgoing message has an appropriate header. For more detailed information, see http://pobox.com/~djb/proto/immhf.html. MESSAGE STRUCTURE
A message contains a series of header fields, a blank line, and a body: Received: (qmail-queue invoked by uid 666); 30 Jul 1996 11:54:54 -0000 From: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu (D. J. Bernstein) To: fred@silverton.berkeley.edu Date: 30 Jul 1996 11:54:54 -0000 Subject: Go, Bears! I've got money on this one. How about you? ---Dan (this is the third line of the body) Each header field has a name, a colon, some contents, and a newline: Subject: Go, Bears! The field contents may be folded across several lines. Each line past the first must begin with a space or tab: Received: (qmail-queue invoked by uid 666); 30 Jul 1996 11:54:54 -0000 The field name must not contain spaces, tabs, or colons. Also, an empty field name is illegal. qmail-inject does not allow field names with unprintable characters. Case is irrelevant in field names: subject and SUBJECT and SuBjEcT have the same meaning. ADDRESS LISTS
Certain fields, such as To, contain address lists. An address list contains some number of addresses or address groups, separated by commas: a@b, c@d (Somebody), A Person <e@f>, random group: g@h, i@j;, k@l An address group has some text, a colon, a list of addresses, and a semicolon: random group: g@h, i@j; An address can appear in several forms. The most common form is box@host. Every address must include a host name. If qmail-inject sees a lone box name it adds the default host name. All host names should be fully qualified. qmail-inject appends the default domain name to any name without dots: djb@silverton -> djb@silverton.berkeley.edu It appends the plus domain name to any name that ends with a plus sign: eric@mammoth.cs+ -> eric@mammoth.cs.berkeley.edu A host name may be a dotted-decimal address: djb@[128.32.183.163] RFC 822 allows mailbox names inside angle brackets to include source routes, but qmail-inject strips all source routes out of addresses. SENDER ADDRESSES
qmail-inject looks for sender address lists in the following fields: Sender, From, Reply-To, Return-Path, Return-Receipt-To, Errors-To, Resent-Sender, Resent-From, Resent-Reply-To. If there is no From field, qmail-inject adds a new From field with the name of the user invoking qmail-inject. RFC 822 requires that certain sender fields contain only a single address, but qmail-inject does not enforce this restriction. RECIPIENT ADDRESSES
qmail-inject looks for recipient address lists in the following fields: To, Cc, Bcc, Apparently-To, Resent-To, Resent-Cc, Resent-Bcc. Every message must contain at least one To or Cc or Bcc. qmail-inject deletes any Bcc field. If there is no To or Cc field, qmail-inject adds a line Cc: recipient list not shown: ; This complies with RFC 822; it also works around some strange sendmail behavior, in case the message is passed through sendmail on another machine. STAMPS
Every message must contain a Date field, with the date in a strict format defined by RFC 822. If necessary qmail-inject creates a new Date field with the current date (in GMT). Every message should contain a Message-Id field. The field contents are a unique worldwide identifier for this message. If necessary qmail-inject creates a new Message-Id field. Another important field is Received. Every time the message is sent from one system to another, a new Received field is added to the top of the message. qmail-inject does not create any Received fields. RESENT MESSAGES
A message is resent if it contains any of the following fields: Resent-Sender, Resent-From, Resent-Reply-To, Resent-To, Resent-Cc, Resent- Bcc, Resent-Date, Resent-Message-ID. If a message is resent, qmail-inject changes its behavior as follows. It deletes any Resent-Bcc field (as well as any Bcc field); if there are no Resent-To or Resent-Cc fields, qmail-inject adds an appropriate Resent-Cc line. It does not add a Cc line, even if neither To nor Cc is present. If there is no Resent-From field, qmail-inject adds a new Resent-From field. It does not add a new From field. qmail-inject adds Resent-Date if one is not already present; same for Resent-Message-Id. It does not add new Date or Message-Id fields. OTHER FEATURES
Addresses are separated by commas, not spaces. When qmail-inject sees an illegal space, it inserts a comma: djb fred -> djb, fred qmail-inject removes all Return-Path header fields. qmail-inject also removes any Content-Length fields. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-inject(8) qmail-header(5)