Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] How to search for these escape characters? Post 302732649 by Yoda on Sunday 18th of November 2012 11:16:44 PM
Old 11-19-2012
in VI try:
Code:
/echo \"\*\*\*Enter new LISTENER_PORT (only applicable to new instance), \"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lp FormFeed Escape characters

I'm trying to modify the /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard file to generate a header for all the print jobs that are sent, but there is no formfeed defined so the the job prints right after the header with no page break. What is the sequence I need in order to generate a formfeed? Or, do you have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgordon
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of escape characters?

Hi, I am trying to execute the following command from a batch script, but no matter how many escape characters I put in it doesn't execute properly. It works fine from the command line with quotes around the -exec part. #!/bin/sh /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/atria/bin/cleartool setview -exec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape characters..

hey i want to know the unix commands to replace all the character escape sequences with their "C" values in a string... thanks in advance..! Regards, Sharanya (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsin2001
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for escape characters

Hi all I have been trying to write a script to look for a set of specific escape characters in a file. On viewing the file via vi it shows this : ^ I understand this means no end of line. I have tried a vary of grep parameters such as grep ^\^. filename grep --binary-file=binary without... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timcs
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escape Characters on various shells

Hi, I want to know if escape charaters work on all the popular UNIX shells. More specifically I want to know if echo "\c" will work on most of the UNIX shells and are there any specific shells on which \c won't work. Please help. Thanks, Vineet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Escape Sequence Characters

Hi All, I have added the script command to user profile so that to record the on-screen data.But when i i checked the O/P i could see lot of escape sequence is there way to remove it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cutechaps
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters

i am executing script from A server which will execute the script in B server , as below. ssh A 'ssh B echo 'select * from testing where name ='test'' i am getting the below output. select * from testing where name=test but i need the output where clause with quotes , tried with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape all special characters?

I have an application which I am integrating with that accepts the password via a CLI. I am running in to issues with passwords that contain special characters. I tried to escape them all, but I ran in to an issue where I cannot escape the characters ' ] My attempt is as follows: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMG1978
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters in a variable

Debian 9 64x - LXDE How can i disable escape sequences in a variable? #!/bin/bash #mainscript . "./links.bash" echo "$red_start This text should be red $color_end"#!/bin/bash #links.bash #colors red_start="\eOutput that i get: \e Output expected: This text should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)