Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace trailing whitespaces with pipe symbol using perl Post 302732541 by kar_333 on Sunday 18th of November 2012 10:43:08 AM
Old 11-18-2012
Replace trailing whitespaces with pipe symbol using perl

I want to replace the whitespace with Pipe symbol to do a multiple pattern matching for the whole text "mysqld failed start" and same as for other text messages Below are the messages stored in a file seperate by whitespace

Code:
mysqld failed start 
nfsd mount failed 
rpcbind failed to start

for each text i need to add the pipe symbol so that it will be easier to do mutliple search pattern similar to egrep.

expected o/p

Code:
mysqld failed start|nfsd mount failed|rpcbind failed to start

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-18-2012 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Less information; (mod) code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove verticalbar or pipe symbol

hi guys i have 6000 rows column the text in the column has the symbol vertical bar |. i tried some of the commands to remove it but none of the commands are reconzng this symbol. would u plz help to remove this symbol from the text with any kind of unix command u r help would be appreciated ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while concating PIPE symbol with a file

Hi Gurus, I had a problem writing a pipe file. Previously i used this code to generate a tab seperated file ABCEF := ABCEF || 'to_char('|| abc_tab(col_num).col_name || ') chr(9) || '; Now i want the o/p as pipe seperated file.I changed the line as below ABCEF := ABCEF ||... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Compare 2 strings, excluding whitespaces

I am creating a script to compare definitions and declarations of functions in C code, and report if the arguments are different. So I need to compare the 2 strings (args of both), how can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bojomojo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove whitespace after pipe symbol but not inside words

I have a file that looks like this: 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| FTW| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| VPS| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #6 X 1/2"| ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate letters and replace whitespaces

Input file: aaaa bbb dd. qqq wwww e. Output file: a a a a <s> b b b <s> d d . q q q <s> w w w w <s> e . Can I use sed to do so in one step? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Broken pipe symbol replaced with <A6><A6>

hi, i am copying an xml file from windows to linux server using filezilla&winscp. xml file contains ¦¦ symbols, after copying xml file to server ¦¦ is replaced with <A6><A6>. tried with copying xml files from windows in ascii&binary but no luck. please suggest. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol ina file, except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol in except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace the first and last character which is pipe symbol in all files within a folder?

with in my files i have the data like this, starting with a pipe and ending the line with a pipe. all i want is to replace the first and last pipe , remove those trying to use following sed command, but it is only showing on the screen the entire data of the file as if it removed, but when i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
4 Replies
HTML::FormHandler::Field::Float(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      HTML::FormHandler::Field::Float(3pm)

NAME
HTML::FormHandler::Field::Float - validate a float value VERSION
version 0.40013 DESCRIPTION
This accepts a positive or negative float/integer. Negative numbers may be prefixed with a dash. By default a max of eight digits including 2 precision are accepted. Default decimal symbol is ','. Widget type is 'text'. # For example 1234,12 has size of 6 and precision of 2 # and separator symbol of ',' has_field 'test_result' => ( type => 'Float', size => 8, # Total size of number including decimal part. precision => 2, # Size of the part after decimal symbol. decimal_symbol => '.', # Decimal symbol accepted in web page form decimal_symbol_for_db => '.', # For inflation. Decimal symbol accepted in DB, which automatically converted to. range_start => 0, range_end => 100 ); messages float_needed float_size float_precision AUTHOR
FormHandler Contributors - see HTML::FormHandler COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Gerda Shank. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-25 HTML::FormHandler::Field::Float(3pm)