Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing backslash character to awk variable Post 302732505 by msabhi on Sunday 18th of November 2012 07:02:07 AM
Old 11-18-2012
How about sed?

Code:
var='select_id="x_0'  #you need not escape " when using single quote
sed "/$var/,/from/" x.txt

This User Gave Thanks to msabhi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How ro handle backslash character in grep?

Hi , I am doing invert grep using -v but the string contain "/" which break the grep command and it do not skip the lines with "/" on it. Diffu.txt ======== 1159c1159 < <td align="right" valign="middle" class="paddingRight2px" id="featureListItemChannelButton7466"> --- > <td... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajbal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove backslash character from file

How do I remove a backslash character \ from a file? I have used sed -e "s|\||g" filename > newfile I have done several permutations on this to no avail such as: sed -e "s|`\`||g" filename > newfile sed -e "s|""\""||g" filename > newfile What am I doing wrong?:confused: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable and wild card character to grep in Perl

HI All, I have a script that needs to find out a list of files in a directory, i pass the search parameter as an argument. opendir ( DIR, $dir ) || die "Error in opening dir $dirname\n"; @filename1 = (grep {/$File_pattern/ } readdir(DIR)); The problem is my file patterns are like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing double backslash(\\) as a path in unix

Hi All, I am trying to add a tag in the *.imp file. This is a piece of code which I am giving in my template file and my script reads this template file attachment and passes to windows server(as they have provided the below file path). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: defendersubbu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to awk

Hi, I'm new with this stuff, but I hope you can help me. This is what I'm trying to do: for id in $var; do awk '{if ($1 == $id) print $2}' merg_data.dat > neigh.tmp done I need that for every "id", awk search the first column of the file merg_data.dat which contains "id" and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matteo86
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with backslash and character

Hi, I have a string wherein i need to replace special characters with backslash and that character. Ex: If my string is a=qwerty123@!, then the new string should be a_new=qwerty123\@\!\, Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp_user
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a semi-tailing backslash when passing (escaped) variables to script

Heyas Figured me had a 'typo' in tui-conf-set, i went to fix it. Now, i also figured, it might be nice to have tui-conf-set report (to console, not only exit code) wether it could save the variable to the file or not. This said, I appended this code: (the tui-title and tui-echo lines are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with passing variable

I have file called in in.txt contains with the below lines I want to display the lines between the value which I would be passing. one two three four five ten six seven eight Expected output if I have passed one and ten two three four five (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychbears
8 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)