Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing to specific line in file bash script Post 302732083 by ShiGua on Friday 16th of November 2012 02:22:40 PM
Old 11-16-2012
Comparing to specific line in file bash script

Hi,

I have a value stored in x and I need to compare it to the numbers in every other line of a file. The file contains alternating lines of numbers and letters:

aaaa1111
AAAAAAAA
bbbb2222
BBBBBBBB
cccc3333
CCCCCCCC

I need to compare x to the numbers in every other line without the first four characters of that line. So I want to compare x to 1111, then to 2222, then 3333. This is to be the condition in an if statement:

if [ $x = (line 1 without first four characters) ]
or
if [ $x = (line 3 without first four characters) ]

I know I would have to use something along the lines of = $(sed something) or maybe cut, but I don't know how to reference the file by line.

Let me know if I need to be more clear. Thanks for any help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that read specific fileds from the 7th line in a file

Dear All, I need a unix script that will read the 7th line and especially these fileds from a file Mo speed 16, Mt speed 15 every 15 minutes starting from 00:00 to 23:45 on daily basis and put the result in a txt file and name it MT_MO_20090225.txt, please also note that the system date format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samura
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the value from a specific line and column BASH

Hi All, I have the same problem as the one posted in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/96097-how-read-value-specific-line-column-csh-variable.html but I'm using bash. Can anyone tell me how I have to modify the code to make it bash compatible? eval `awk 'NR==3{print "set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn/bash Script to monitor a file a check for specific data

Hi, Im trying to write this script but im stuck on it, basicaly what i want to do is to write a code to verify a log file ( apache log file for example ) and for each new line with specific data , then, output this new line for another file: full ex: output of the server.log is (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a number in a text file with a specific value

My project is to get a temperature reading from a refridgerator every 2 minutes and check to see if the door has been left open. I don't yet have the mastery of Linux, being a complete noob, but I reckon I need a text file with the latest temperature reading in it. This I've managed to do by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fitch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for inserting line at specific place in file

I use zentyal for my server admin, which is great but zentyal auto-generates config file on boot and hence overwrites any changes made directly to config files. In order to allow multiple user access to a MS ACCESS database, I need to customise the smb.conf file and add the following line to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Appending to specific line in file

I'm working on a personal project, a multiplication quiz script for my kids. In it, the user's performance will be recorded and written to a file. After they've played it a little while, it will start to focus more on the ones that give them the most trouble-- that take a long time to answer or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies
gst-complete-0.8(1)						   User Commands					       gst-complete-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-complete-0.8, gst-complete - perform bash completion for gst-launch command lines SYNOPSIS
complete -Cgst-complete-0.8 gst-launch gst-complete [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-complete-0.8 enables bash to provide context-sensitive tab completion for gst-launch command lines. See gst-launch(1) for the syntax of gst-launch command lines. You must have a version of bash that supports programmable completion. Such versions of bash provide the complete built-in command. gst-complete is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X. For example, if both gst-complete-0.7 and gst- complete-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-complete runs gst-complete-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-complete-0.8 and gst-complete: --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. The following options are supported by gst-complete only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating the Registry of Available Plugins by Running gst-compprep Run the following command in your .bash_profile or other appropriate place: example% complete -C gst-complete-0.8 gst-launch Example 2: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-complete --print /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.Executable for bash completion for gst-launch /usr/bin/gst-complete Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-complete-0.8(1)