Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Wildcards used in find, ls and grep commands Post 302732041 by vbe on Friday 16th of November 2012 12:07:54 PM
Old 11-16-2012
Quote:
User Commands grep(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern

SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/grep [-bchilnsvw] limited-regular-expression
[filename]...

/usr/xpg4/bin/grep [-E | -F] [-c | -l | -q] [-bhinsvwx] -e pattern_list...
[-f pattern_file]... [file]...

/usr/xpg4/bin/grep [-E | -F] [-c | -l | -q] [-bhinsvwx]
[-e pattern_list]... -f pattern_file... [file]...

/usr/xpg4/bin/grep [-E | -F] [-c | -l | -q] [-bhinsvwx] pattern
[file]...
Code:
#demo:
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ grep -?
grep: illegal option -- ?
Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ which grep
/bin/grep
slo4:/export/home/vbe $ /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -?
/usr/xpg4/bin/grep: illegal option -- ?
Usage:  grep [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvwx] pattern_list [file ...]
        grep [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvwx] [-e pattern_list]... [-f pattern_file]... [file...]
        grep -E [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] pattern_list [file ...]
        grep -E [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] [-e pattern_list]... [-f pattern_file]... [file...]
        grep -F [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] pattern_list [file ...]
        grep -F [-c|-l|-q] [-bhinsvx] [-e pattern_list]... [-f pattern_file]... [file...]
slo4:/export/home/vbe $

In order to make use of grep -F you have to use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep, instead of the default grep in /usr/bin. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and wildcards

Hi guys, a small problem today, I'm grepping a log file containing lines like this below: Mar 09 16:04:00 blabla Mar 09 16:04:02 blabla Mar 09 16:04:05 blabla Mar 09 16:04:15 blabla Mar 09 16:05:06 blabla Mar 09 16:05:23 blabla Mar 09 16:05:25 blabla ... in this file I'm grepping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lomic
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and grep commands

I'm having trouble with the following commands i. count the number of lines which end in a 4 letter word grep '{4\}$' bfile <<seems to print out everything abc abc abcd joe joe john bob bill gregory greg greg gregory the grep command prints out the lines with 4 letter words and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: StrengthThaDon
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with find & grep commands

Folks; First about find: when i run this: find . -name '*log*' -mtime +10 -print | sed 's+^\./++;s+/.*++' | sort -u i got list of log files but also get a directories (although directory names doesn't have "log" in it). How can i exclude the directory from the output of this find command? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - grep issue in filenames with wildcards

Hi I have 2 directories t1 and t2 with some files in it. I have to see whether the files present in t1 is also there in t2 or not. Currently, both the directories contain the same files as shown below: $ABC.TXT def.txt Now, when I run the below script, it tells def.txt is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

find grep sed commands homework

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to make as home work several commands with gerp find and sed 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: FIND command -use command find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViruS89
8 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help using find or locate with wildcards

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: List all files in ~c12100 directory beginning with "BOZO" that end with either "123" or "456" 2. Relevant... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScarletRavin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep wildcards

Hi all I want to search for number in file presented with wildcard as shown below. cat file.txt 1405 1623 1415 ....... ....... How to search for the number 141526 for example? If the number exist print "Number 141526 exist" if no, print "The number not exist" Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Grep within find command

Platform: AIX 6.1/ksh Question1. I want to grep for the string "CUSTOM_PKMS" in all the files in server except those files with extensions .dbf , .ctl and .dmp I started running the following command but it is taking too long because there are lots of .dbf , .ctl and .dmp files in this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns that contain wildcards

job_count=`grep -e "The job called .* has finished | The job called .* is running" logfile.txt | wc -l` Any idea how to count those 2 patterns so i have a total count of the finished and running jobs from the log file? If i do either of the patterns its works okay but adding them together... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command and use of wildcards

greetings, below is the find command i am using for some filesystem maintenance: find /data/Engine \( -type d -name .snapshot -prune -o -type d -wholename "/data/Engine/*/CAE" \ -prune -o -type d -wholename "/data/Engine/*/CAD" -prune -o -name ".*.case" \)\ -mtime +365 -print0 -fls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)