Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Finding the latest file in a directory Post 302731965 by abhi_123 on Friday 16th of November 2012 07:13:25 AM
Old 11-16-2012
thanks it worked

thanks all it worked. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding latest file having timestamp on it.....

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file from one directory to another

Hi All, I am in the directory a/b/processed the files in this directories are -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 8 chandantest.txt_08082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 220 Aug 7 chandantest.txt_07082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandancsc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file to a directory

Hi Team, I wish to copy the latest file of pattern "MyFile*" to some other location. I need to do all the operation in a single command separated by |. ls -rt <MyFile*> | tail -1 | <copy command>. How can I do? Please help me. Thanks, Kanda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the latest modified file name in /home directory?

I only know how to list all sub-directories or files in specified directory. I don't know how to order them by modified date, furthermore, I don't know how to get the top one file in the sorted list. Wish you can do me a favor. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest file in a Dir

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script and I am struck here: I need to find the latest file in a directory depending upon the date. For example: The files in the directory are: Filename_bo_20110619 Filename_bo_20110620 Filename_bo_20110621 Filename_bo_20110622 So here, I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors

I believe there are couple of syntax issues in my script, couldn't find them :( can someone help me with fixing it to make it work. cd /abcde/ #get the latest filename excluding subdirs filename=`ls -ltr | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}'` #get system date and file timestamp and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies
inc::latest(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  inc::latest(3pm)

NAME
inc::latest - use modules bundled in inc/ if they are newer than installed ones SYNOPSIS
# in Build.PL use inc::latest 'Module::Build'; DESCRIPTION
The "inc::latest" module helps bootstrap configure-time dependencies for CPAN distributions. These dependencies get bundled into the "inc" directory within a distribution and are used by Build.PL (or Makefile.PL). Arguments to "inc::latest" are module names that are checked against both the current @INC array and against specially-named directories in "inc". If the bundled verison is newer than the installed one (or the module isn't installed, then, the bundled directory is added to the start of <@INC> and the module is loaded from there. There are actually two variations of "inc::latest" -- one for authors and one for the "inc" directory. For distribution authors, the "inc::latest" installed in the system will record modules loaded via "inc::latest" and can be used to create the bundled files in "inc", including writing the second variation as "inc/latest.pm". This second "inc::latest" is the one that is loaded in a distribution being installed (e.g. from Build.PL). This bundled "inc::latest" is the one that determines which module to load. Special notes on bundling The "inc::latest" module creates bundled directories based on the packlist file of an installed distribution. Even though "inc::latest" takes module name arguments, it is better to think of it as bundling and making available entire distributions. When a module is loaded through "inc::latest", it looks in all bundled distributions in "inc/" for a newer module than can be found in the existing @INC array. Thus, the module-name provided should usually be the "top-level" module name of a distribution, though this is not strictly required. For example, Module::Build has a number of heuristics to map module names to packlists, allowing users to do things like this: use inc::latest 'Devel::AssertOS::Unix'; even though Devel::AssertOS::Unix is contained within the Devel-CheckOS distribution. At the current time, packlists are required. Thus, bundling dual-core modules may require a 'forced install' over versions in the latest version of perl in order to create the necessary packlist for bundling. USAGE
When calling "use", the bundled "inc::latest" takes a single module name and optional arguments to pass to that module's own import method. use 'inc::latest' 'Foo::Bar' qw/foo bar baz/; Author-mode You are in author-mode inc::latest if any of the Author-mode methods are available. For example: if ( inc::latest->can('write') ) { inc::latest->write('inc'); } loaded_modules() my @list = inc::latest->loaded_modules; This takes no arguments and always returns a list of module names requested for loading via "use inc::latest 'MODULE'", regardless of wether the load was successful or not. write() inc::latest->write( 'inc' ); This writes the bundled version of inc::latest to the directory name given as an argument. It almost all cases, it should be '"inc"'. bundle_module() for my $mod ( inc::latest->loaded_modules ) { inc::latest->bundle_module($mod, $dir); } If $mod corresponds to a packlist, then this function creates a specially-named directory in $dir and copies all .pm files from the modlist to the new directory (which almost always should just be 'inc'). For example, if Foo::Bar is the name of the module, and $dir is 'inc', then the directory would be 'inc/inc_Foo-Bar' and contain files like this: inc/inc_Foo-Bar/Foo/Bar.pm Currently, $mod must have a packlist. If this is not the case (e.g. for a dual-core module), then the bundling will fail. You may be able to create a packlist by forced installing the module on top of the version that came with core Perl. As bundled in inc/ All methods are private. Only the "import" method is public. AUTHOR
Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@cpan.org>, David Golden <dagolden@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2009 by Eric Wilhelm and David Golden This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Module::Build perl v5.16.2 2012-10-25 inc::latest(3pm)