Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris getpeername: Transport endpoint is not connected Post 302731739 by DGPickett on Thursday 15th of November 2012 05:10:15 PM
Old 11-15-2012
Here is the packet by packet: A client sends a TCP syn bit packet from his socket to a listening socket on a server. The server sends a syn-ack packet back and sets up a connection filter to divert this clients packets to a child socket that is now considered possible 'connected' to the client, so the listener just gets new connection packets. Middle packets are just ack packets, as I recall. When idle, keep-alive packets are sent, to ensure timers do not expire saying there is a disconnect. Sometimes routers delete and fake these to reduce traffic! Either end could send a fin packet to close it, and expects a fin-ack packet back in response. If a code bit gets a stale socket, and asks for the peer name (remote ip and port), while the information is probably available, the fact that the connection is closed is deemed a more appropriate response -- no point beating a dead horse, as it were.

Last edited by DGPickett; 11-15-2012 at 06:47 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

PLOGI failed state=Packet Transport error

Someone who can help me. the following error occur, what does it mean, and any possible solution you can give.thanks syslog: fp: NOTICE: fp(2): PLOGI to d5900 failed state=Packet Transport error , reason=No Connection (Database) $cat /var/adm/messages Nov 3 05:16:21 vfaus279 fp: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: o_m_g
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transport to another server within a script.

I'm not sure how to phrase this... We currently have a server that we have to load a special kind of file onto, to do this we have a script that someone on my team wrote years ago called emm <file>. We recently added another server to our system, so every file that's added on one has to be added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Transport Error

Dear Friends, I am using Solaris 10 on Sun Sparc T5120 with 4 HDD(Raid).I am getting transport error in one of my mirrored HDD c1t2d0. Below is a screen shot. I have replaced the HDD with new one but still the same. Any one can help???? c1t2d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep error: range endpoint too large

Hi, my problem: gzgrep "^.\{376\}8301685001120" filename /dev/null ###ERROR ### grep: RE error 11: Range endpoint too large. Whats my mistake? Is the position 376 to large for grep??? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SC3.2 issue - cluster transport configuration not right - resulting fail

I am trying to set up a two host cluster. trouble is with the cluster transport configuration. i'm using e1000g2 and g3 for the cluster transport. global0 and global1 are my two nodes, and I am running the scinstall from global1. i think i should be expecting, is this: The following... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustin
19 Replies

6. Solaris

What is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors?

what is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

7. Programming

Problem transport endpoint is not connected

i've made a simple program that change a string from lowercase to uppercase and from uppercase to lowercase. Server works until start client, after client run server give this error: "recv server fallita: Transport endpoint is not connected" why? i think that stream closed too soon or not? below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transport errors in iostat

Hi Unix experts, I have a question regarding a disk failure seen in "iostat -Enm" output: # iostat -Enm c1t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 7 Transport Errors: 9 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005M0 Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Determine PCI Endpoint for a Serial Interface.

Hi Folks, Here is one for the real Solaris aficionados on the site; I have a T5240 and have to create an I/O domain with access to the serial port, in this case /dev/term/a and although I have been through the documentation I'm having some issues in identifying the device to assign. What I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
ashunt(8)							netsniff-ng-toolkit							 ashunt(8)

NAME
ashunt - Autonomous System (AS) trace route utility SYNOPSIS
ashunt -H|--host <host> -i|-d|--dev <dev> [-6|--ipv6] [-n|--numeric] [-N|--dns] [-f|--init-ttl <ttl>] [-m|--max-ttl <ttl>] [-q|--num-probes] [-x|--timeout <sec>] [-S|--syn] [-A|--ack] [-F|--fin] [-P|--psh] [-U|--urg] [-R|--rst] [-E|--ecn-syn] [-t|--tos <tos>] [-G|--nofrag] [-X|--payload <string>] [-Z|--show-packet] [-l|--totlen <len>] [-w|--whois <server>] [-W|--wport <port>] [--city-db <path>] [--country-db <path>] [-v|--version] [-h|--help] DESCRIPTION
This program provides AS information on each hop between the client and the target host. OPTIONS
ashunt -i eth0 -N -E -H netsniff-ng.org IPv4 trace of AS with TCP ECN SYN probe ashunt -i eth0 -N -S -H netsniff-ng.org IPv4 trace of AS with TCP SYN probe ashunt -i eth0 -N -F -H netsniff-ng.org IPv4 trace of AS with TCP FIN probe ashunt -i eth0 -N -FPU -H netsniff-ng.org IPv4 trace of AS with Xmas probe ashunt -i eth0 -N -H netsniff-ng.org -X "censor-me" -Z IPv4 trace of AS with Null probe with ASCII payload ashunt -6 -S -i eth0 -H netsniff-ng.org IPv6 trace of AS up to netsniff-ng.org OPTIONS
-h|--help Print help text and lists all options. -v|--version Print version. -H|--host <host> Host/IPv4/IPv6 to lookup AS route to i-|-d|--dev <netdev> Networking device, i.e. eth0 -p|--port <port> Hosts port to lookup AS route to -4|--ipv4 Use IPv4 requests (default) -6|--ipv6 Use IPv6 requests -n|--numeric Do not do reverse DNS lookup for hops -N|--dns Do a reverse DNS lookup for hops -f|--init-ttl <ttl> Set initial TTL -m|--max-ttl <ttl> Set maximum TTL (default: 30) -q|--num-probes <num> Number of max probes for each hop (default: 3) -x|--timeout <sec> Probe response timeout in sec (default: 3) -S|--syn Set TCP SYN flag in packets -A|--ack Set TCP ACK flag in packets -F|--fin Set TCP FIN flag in packets -P|--psh Set TCP PSH flag in packets -U|--urg Set TCP URG flag in packets -R|--rst Set TCP RST flag in packets -E|--ecn-syn Send ECN SYN packets (RFC3168) -t|--tos <tos> Set the IP TOS field -w|--whois <server> Use a different AS whois DB server (default: /etc/netsniff-ng/whois.conf) -W|--wport <port> Use a different port to AS whois server (default: /etc/netsniff-ng/whois.conf) --city-db <path> Specifiy path for geoip city database --country-db <path> Specifiy path for geoip country database AUTHOR
Written by Daniel Borkmann <daniel@netsniff-ng.org> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by Emmanuel Roullit <emmanuel@netsniff-ng.org> BUGS
Please report bugs to <bugs@netsniff-ng.org> 2012-06-29 ashunt(8)