Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Finding the latest file in a directory Post 302731571 by Don Cragun on Thursday 15th of November 2012 11:08:52 AM
Old 11-15-2012
A simpler ways include:
Code:
basename "$v_sourcefile"

and when using POSIX compliant shells
Code:
${v_sourcefile##*/}

---------- Post updated at 08:08 ---------- Previous update was at 07:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
What OS are you using since your output is not what I would expect?
IMHO using ls without -l should not give the absolute path...
If $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile names a regular file (not a directory), then ls (no matter what options are given) will definitely print the full pathname of the file. If $v_sourcefile is named appropriately, it should name a single file; not a directory. Note that in this case the |tail -1 and |head -1, respectively, in the code examples given in the 1st message in this thread were no-ops.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding latest file having timestamp on it.....

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file from one directory to another

Hi All, I am in the directory a/b/processed the files in this directories are -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 8 chandantest.txt_08082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 220 Aug 7 chandantest.txt_07082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandancsc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file to a directory

Hi Team, I wish to copy the latest file of pattern "MyFile*" to some other location. I need to do all the operation in a single command separated by |. ls -rt <MyFile*> | tail -1 | <copy command>. How can I do? Please help me. Thanks, Kanda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the latest modified file name in /home directory?

I only know how to list all sub-directories or files in specified directory. I don't know how to order them by modified date, furthermore, I don't know how to get the top one file in the sorted list. Wish you can do me a favor. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest file in a Dir

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script and I am struck here: I need to find the latest file in a directory depending upon the date. For example: The files in the directory are: Filename_bo_20110619 Filename_bo_20110620 Filename_bo_20110621 Filename_bo_20110622 So here, I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors

I believe there are couple of syntax issues in my script, couldn't find them :( can someone help me with fixing it to make it work. cd /abcde/ #get the latest filename excluding subdirs filename=`ls -ltr | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}'` #get system date and file timestamp and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)