Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to use a function?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to use a function? Post 302731349 by Vitaly on Wednesday 14th of November 2012 09:11:30 PM
Old 11-14-2012
How to use a function?

I am trying to use a function in my script. I'm not quite sure how to complete it. This is my assignment:

The first version of hw12.sh should display the usage message "usage: $0 argument", "Enter one or more arguments." when no arguments are on the command line.

$ hw12.sh
usage: hw12.sh argument
Enter one or more arguments.

- The second version of hw12.sh should display the message "There were $# arguments on the command line" if there were 1 or more arguments on the command line. Here is an example.

$ hw12.sh abc 123
There were 2 arguments on the command line.

- The final version of hw12.sh has the following change. Display the usage message from a function. Here is an example.

$ hw12.sh hello hw12.sh
There were 2 arguments on the command line.
$ hw12.sh
usage: hw12.sh argument
Enter one or more arguments.

This is my code that wrote but it says i have a syntax error any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Code:
if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then echo "usage: $0 argument"
     echo "Enter 1 or more arguments"
     else "There were $# arguments on the command line"
     exit 1
fi

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-15-2012 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a value from called function to the calling function

I have two scripts. script1.sh looks -------------------------------- #!/bin/bash display() { echo "Welcome to Unix" } display ----------------------------- Script2.sh #!/bin/bash sh script1.sh //simply calling script1.sh ------------------------------ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

3. Programming

Function pointer to inline function ?

Hi. Problem: I have to parse the payload of a packet. The payload could be in Big Endian Format (network byte order) or little. That depends on a flag present in the header of the packet. Solution: A horrible solution could be to check for that flag everytime I have to read a field in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: emitrax
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL SCRIPT Function Calling Another Function Please Help...

This is my function which is creating three variables based on counter & writing these variable to database by calling another function writeRecord but only one record is getting wrote in DB.... Please advise ASAP...:confused: function InsertFtg { FTGSTR="" echo "Saurabh is GREAT $#" let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.sonawane
2 Replies

5. Programming

How to step in one function after the function be executed in gdb?

In gdb, I can call one function with command "call", but how can I step in the function? I don't want to restart the program, but the function had been executed, gdb will execute next statement, and I don't know how to recall the function. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Modify File Name in each function before calling another function.

I have a script which does gunzip, zip and untar. Input to the script is file name and file directory (where file is located) I am reading the input parameters as follows: FILENAME=$1 FILEDIR=$2 I have created 3 functions that are as follows: 1) gunzip file 2) unzip file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will files, creaetd in one function of the same script will be recognized in another function?

Dear All. I have a script, which process files one by one. In the script I have two functions. one sftp files to different server the other from existing file create file with different name. My question is: Will sftp function recognize files names , which are created in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on awk for printing the function name inside each function

Hi, I am having script which contains many functions. Need to print each function name at the starting of the function. Like below, functionname() { echo "functionname" commands.... } I've tried like below, func=`grep "()" scriptname | cut -d "(" -f1` for i in $func do nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
mdbFontSize(5)							 The m17n Library						    mdbFontSize(5)

NAME
mdbFontSize - Font Size DESCRIPTION
In some case, a font contains incorrect information about its size (typically in the case of a hacked TrueType font), which results in a bad text layout when such a font is used in combination with the other fonts. To overcome this problem, the m17n library loads information about font-size adjustment from the m17n database by the tags <font, resize>. The data is loaded as a plist of this format. FONT-SIZE-ADJUSTMENT ::= PER-FONT * PER-FONT ::= '(' FONT-SPEC ADJUST-RATIO ')' FONT-SPEC ::= '(' [ FOUNDRY FAMILY [ WEIGHT [ STYLE [ STRETCH [ ADSTYLE ]]]]] REGISTRY ')' ADJUST-RATIO ::= INTEGER FONT-SPEC is to specify properties of a font. FOUNDRY to REGISTRY are symbols corresponding to Mfoundry to Mregistry property of a font. See m17nFont for the meaning of each property. ADJUST-RATIO is an integer number specifying by percentage how much the font-size must be adjusted. For instance, this PER-FONT: ((devanagari-cdac) 150) instructs the font handler of the m17n library to open a font of 1.5 times bigger than a requested size on opening a font whose registry is 'devanagari-cdac'. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mdbFontSize(5)