Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where does id / getent query ? Post 302730811 by MaindotC on Tuesday 13th of November 2012 05:45:04 PM
Old 11-13-2012
Yep, did look in there but didn't see anything that matched "getent" or "id"...I'm assuming I'll eventually have to look at the source code for getent and see where it calls nsswitch.conf.

Edit: I think I have it. Thanks!

Last edited by MaindotC; 11-13-2012 at 07:00 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

query.....

hi friends i want to know details of `exec` exact use of this command ..... actually i went through the man page but i didn`t get the satisfactory ...conclusion.... thaks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newson
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help on query

I just started to learn unix - need help to write a script to query a logfile and produce the results that contains a specific word "alarm" for a period from X day to Y day. I really have no idea how to begin - :( please help... ____________________________________________________ #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snipfer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to query : YES or NO

hi i want to make script. where i want to query from the user yes or no exp: do you want to proceed : y for yes n for NO. how this is possible in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query

Hi, I have a script to remove null values from a file. Could any one explain how this is working? :confused: while read f do echo process $f gawk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

8. Solaris

getent not working, solaris 10 only

Hello, thanks in advance for any help! We use LDAP for our unix boxes When I run getent passwd on solaris 10, it only returns some of the ldap entries, not all. Aprox 300 of 4000. When i run the same command on linux or solaris 9, it comes back correct. my nsswitch file is good. I ran a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getent hosts

korn shell script on Solaris getent hosts <hostname> returns IP FQDN But I just want the output to be like this <hostname> IP things I have tried so far getent hosts <hostname> |awk '{print $2,$1}' using awk and substr getent hosts <hostname> |nawk '{print substr($2,1,5)}' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies
getent(1M)																getent(1M)

NAME
getent - get entries from administrative database SYNOPSIS
getent database [key...] getent gets a list of entries from the administrative database specified by database. The information generally comes from one or more of the sources that are specified for the database in /etc/nsswitch.conf. database is the name of the database to be examined. This can be passwd, group, hosts, ipnodes, services, protocols, ethers, project, net- works, or netmasks. For each of these databases, getent uses the appropriate library routines described in getpwnam(3C), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), getservbyname(3SOCKET), getprotoby- name(3SOCKET), ethers(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT) and getnetbyname(3SOCKET), respectively. Each key must be in a format appropriate for searching on the respective database. For example, it can be a username or numeric-uid for passwd; hostname or IP address for hosts; or service, service/protocol, port, or port/proto for services. getent prints out the database entries that match each of the supplied keys, one per line, in the format of the matching administrative file: passwd(4), group(4), project(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), services(4), protocols(4), ethers(3SOCKET), networks(4), or netmasks(4). If no key is given, all entries returned by the corresponding enumeration library routine, for example, getpwent() or gethostent(), are printed. Enumeration is not supported on ipnodes. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 Command syntax was incorrect, an invalid option was used, or an internal error occurred. 2 At least one of the specified entry names was not found in the database. 3 There is no support for enumeration on this database. /etc/nsswitch.conf name service switch configuration file /etc/passwd password file /etc/group group file /etc/inet/hosts IPv4 host name database /etc/inet/ipnodes IPv4 and IPv6 host name database /etc/services Internet services and aliases /etc/project project file /etc/protocols protocol name database /etc/ethers Ethernet address to hostname database or domain /etc/networks network name database /etc/netmasks network mask database See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ethers(3SOCKET), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), gethostent(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodeby- name(3SOCKET), getnetbyname(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT), getprotobyname(3SOCKET), getpwnam(3C), getservbyname(3SOCKET), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), netmasks(4), networks(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), project(4), protocols(4), services(4), attributes(5) 1 Feb 2005 getent(1M)