Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where does id / getent query ? Post 302730811 by MaindotC on Tuesday 13th of November 2012 05:45:04 PM
Old 11-13-2012
Yep, did look in there but didn't see anything that matched "getent" or "id"...I'm assuming I'll eventually have to look at the source code for getent and see where it calls nsswitch.conf.

Edit: I think I have it. Thanks!

Last edited by MaindotC; 11-13-2012 at 07:00 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

query.....

hi friends i want to know details of `exec` exact use of this command ..... actually i went through the man page but i didn`t get the satisfactory ...conclusion.... thaks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newson
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help on query

I just started to learn unix - need help to write a script to query a logfile and produce the results that contains a specific word "alarm" for a period from X day to Y day. I really have no idea how to begin - :( please help... ____________________________________________________ #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snipfer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to query : YES or NO

hi i want to make script. where i want to query from the user yes or no exp: do you want to proceed : y for yes n for NO. how this is possible in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query

Hi, I have a script to remove null values from a file. Could any one explain how this is working? :confused: while read f do echo process $f gawk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

8. Solaris

getent not working, solaris 10 only

Hello, thanks in advance for any help! We use LDAP for our unix boxes When I run getent passwd on solaris 10, it only returns some of the ldap entries, not all. Aprox 300 of 4000. When i run the same command on linux or solaris 9, it comes back correct. my nsswitch file is good. I ran a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getent hosts

korn shell script on Solaris getent hosts <hostname> returns IP FQDN But I just want the output to be like this <hostname> IP things I have tried so far getent hosts <hostname> |awk '{print $2,$1}' using awk and substr getent hosts <hostname> |nawk '{print substr($2,1,5)}' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies
NSS-SYSTEMD(8)							    nss-systemd 						    NSS-SYSTEMD(8)

NAME
nss-systemd, libnss_systemd.so.2 - Provide UNIX user and group name resolution for dynamic users and groups. SYNOPSIS
libnss_systemd.so.2 DESCRIPTION
nss-systemd is a plug-in module for the GNU Name Service Switch (NSS) functionality of the GNU C Library (glibc), providing UNIX user and group name resolution for dynamic users and groups allocated through the DynamicUser= option in systemd unit files. See systemd.exec(5) for details on this option. This module also ensures that the root and nobody users and groups (i.e. the users/groups with the UIDs/GIDs 0 and 65534) remain resolvable at all times, even if they aren't listed in /etc/passwd or /etc/group, or if these files are missing. To activate the NSS module, add "systemd" to the lines starting with "passwd:" and "group:" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. It is recommended to place "systemd" after the "files" or "compat" entry of the /etc/nsswitch.conf lines so that /etc/passwd and /etc/group based mappings take precedence. EXAMPLE
Here is an example /etc/nsswitch.conf file that enables nss-systemd correctly: passwd: compat mymachines systemd group: compat mymachines systemd shadow: compat hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns myhostname networks: files protocols: db files services: db files ethers: db files rpc: db files netgroup: nis SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.exec(5), nss-resolve(8), nss-myhostname(8), nss-mymachines(8), nsswitch.conf(5), getent(1) systemd 237 NSS-SYSTEMD(8)