Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where does id / getent query ? Post 302730715 by MaindotC on Tuesday 13th of November 2012 01:31:35 PM
Old 11-13-2012
Where does id / getent query ?

I'm typing "id <user's id>" and its returning a different UID that what is defined in our administration system. Where does id / getent query and where is it configured to query? I'm guessing it queries the local /etc/passwd file first, and then if it doesn't find anything it would query LDAP correct?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

query.....

hi friends i want to know details of `exec` exact use of this command ..... actually i went through the man page but i didn`t get the satisfactory ...conclusion.... thaks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newson
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help on query

I just started to learn unix - need help to write a script to query a logfile and produce the results that contains a specific word "alarm" for a period from X day to Y day. I really have no idea how to begin - :( please help... ____________________________________________________ #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snipfer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to query : YES or NO

hi i want to make script. where i want to query from the user yes or no exp: do you want to proceed : y for yes n for NO. how this is possible in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query

Hi, I have a script to remove null values from a file. Could any one explain how this is working? :confused: while read f do echo process $f gawk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

8. Solaris

getent not working, solaris 10 only

Hello, thanks in advance for any help! We use LDAP for our unix boxes When I run getent passwd on solaris 10, it only returns some of the ldap entries, not all. Aprox 300 of 4000. When i run the same command on linux or solaris 9, it comes back correct. my nsswitch file is good. I ran a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getent hosts

korn shell script on Solaris getent hosts <hostname> returns IP FQDN But I just want the output to be like this <hostname> IP things I have tried so far getent hosts <hostname> |awk '{print $2,$1}' using awk and substr getent hosts <hostname> |nawk '{print substr($2,1,5)}' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies
LIBSKK(1)						      General Commands Manual							 LIBSKK(1)

NAME
skk - program that emulates Japanese SKK input method SYNOPSIS
skk [options] DESCRIPTION
skk is a tool that reads key sequences from the standard input and converts them to Japanese text according to a Japanese input method called SKK (Simple Kana to Kanji conversion program). More information about the SKK input method itself can be found at: http://openlab.jp/skk/ OPTIONS
The skk command follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h, --help Show summary of options. -f, --file-dict=FILE Specify path to a file dictionary. -u, --user-dict=FILE Specify path to a user dictionary. -s, --skkserv=HOST:PORT Specify host and port running skkserv. -r, --rule=RULE Specify typing rule. -l, --list-rules List typing rules. EXAMPLE
echo "A i SPC" | skk Converts a capital letter "A" followed by lowercase letter "i" and a space. echo "K a p a SPC K a SPC" | skk Converts a capital letter "K" followed by lowercase letters "a", "p", "a", and a space. Then converts a capital letter "K" followed by "a" and a space. echo "r k" | skk -r tutcode Converts two lowercase letters "r" and "k" with TUT-Code typing rule. echo "a (usleep 50000) b (usleep 200000)" | skk -r nicola Converts two lowercase letters "a" and "b" typed with a 50000 micro seconds interval, and wait 200000 micro seconds, with NICOLA typing rule. AUTHOR
libskk was written by Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org>. 5 Jan 2012 LIBSKK(1)