Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print file name when running grep from within find Post 302730693 by Yoda on Tuesday 13th of November 2012 12:11:27 PM
Old 11-13-2012
To print file name you can use -l option:-
Code:
find ./ -name "findme*" -exec grep -l "roses*" {} \;

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we grep a list of all running PIDs in a file !!??

Hi, In the following part of a script, I am grepping the list of all running PIDs in the File as in line 3 :- $pid_count=`grep -c "^${pid_process}$" $CRI_PUSH_BIN_HOME/bin/ PushProcessId` If I cannot grep this way, then how can I do so. 1 pid_process=`ps -ef -o pid,args |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find file grep it and print file name

i am trying to search a few hundred release note text files for a certain word. however when i use the below command i can find a file that contains it but i dont know the file name. how can i change this command to output the name of the file that grep was successful in? find builds -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file and print only contents with a hit by grep

Hi, can someone help me. I have some files and search a content in this files. If i have a hit I will print a output: filename:content But are more hits in one file: The output is always filename:content E.G. Seach about "three" file1 {one, two, three, four, three} file2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that.

Hi All, Please tell me how can I Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that in solaris? Please share as I am unable to use grep -A or grep -B as it is not working on Solaris. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaib
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/awk to only print lines with two columns in a file

Hey, Need some help for command to print only lines with two columns in a file abc 111 cde 222 fgh ijk 2 klm 12 23 nop want the ouput to be abc 111 cde 222 ijk 2 Thanks a lot in advance!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or print each section of a file on one line with a separator

I can obtain information from itdt inventory command however it display as below, I'd like to print each entity on one line but seperated by : the file is something like and each section ends with Volume Tag Drive Address 256 Drive State ................... Normal ASC/ASCQ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep in file and print in the line

hi # cat test.txt Test Date: 20131008 1515 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Saxx = Proc_m0_s13 : 1640 Saxx = Proc_m0_s15 : 1791 Saxx = Proc_m0_s17 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/print/ a test file

cat abc.txt Filename: SHA_AED_Monthly_SNR_20150331.txt.gz Data Format: ASCII with carriage returns and linefeeds Compression: GZIP GZIP Bytes: 36893068 Unzipped Bytes : 613794510 Records: 851310 Record Length: 738 Blocksize: 32472 Filename: SHA_AED_SNR_ChangeLog_20150331.txt.gz Data... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
16 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD