Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to keep program running after logout Post 302726187 by lepetal on Saturday 3rd of November 2012 08:14:26 PM
Old 11-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
That depends on your OS. AIX's nohup, for instance, can take a PID as argument and disattach the process from the terminal even after the start. This is probably possible in some other OSes too.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
Thanks Smilie At this point in the topic we are talking about Linux. In Linux we don't have -p key in nohup.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Running a compiled Program

Just getting into the Unix command line programming and am unable to run any program I write. I am using a Makefile and the source is compiling but when I enter the name of the output file I get back: bash: lab01exe.out: command not found I'm sure I am just dooing something simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krebsbac
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a program automatically

How can I make a program run automatically at a certain time of day? My problem is I need to make a small backup program that will back up a few files every day? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvadn0
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program

Hi.Iam new to Linux.i got linux 7.0 pro and dont know how to run programs. I want a perl interputer and i know i installed one but how do i run it ??? Also how do i run a C or C++ editor ?and how do i run cron ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

4. Programming

running a program for a specified time

how can i run a program for a specified time? i need to print a current time during program execution. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prosputko
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep process running (wget) and logout

well, i have only been learning about linux, unix and shells for a few days. For my online game to work, i need run a file each 10 seconds. Running that file will update mysql data, causing my online game to "tick". This adds resources and fights battles in game. I know that i need to use a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey1090
3 Replies

6. Programming

Running app after logout and monitoring

Hello! I just programmed a very simple app, it's function is to report every minute the state of the memory and cpu and put it to and xml. All this stuff is working ok since I'm logged in into the machine, but i want it to run as a service, how can I do that?? P.S: Any one knows how can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncatdesigner
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program (Dynflow)

Lets get some stuff out of the way before the question. I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a VirtualBox virtual machine. I do not know much about Unix or FreeBSD, though I do run linux at home. My boss gave me some files that he says are a unix version of the program Dynflow. The Programs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: poet_will
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keep process running on logout

Hey All, I'm logging in via an SSH shell. I'm wondering if there's a way to execute a command and it not die when I close my terminal window (or rather, logout of the SSH shell). Thanks, Nathan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NathanWarden
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Running More than One Program

Folks, I'm really new to scripting and was wondering if you could help me out. I have the following script that I inherited: #!/bin/bash # # Usage # From the agent directory: # ./run-any-agent AgentName # TAC_AGENT_HOME=`pwd` LIB=${TAC_AGENT_HOME}/lib CLASSPATH=.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: DTriniWay
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a program using csh

I have a program which I can run on the command line like below and works fine /nethome/chrisd/HSeis/TommyCD/TommyCD-1101/bin/raytrac vmod=npt10-z30.vmod srfile=jcdint.sc rcfile=jcdint.rc phases="SP FS" level=twop format="X T" dtau=0.1 mdacc=0.5 mindist=0.1 maxitertp=25 ray=npt10-z30.ry... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-x] [-o omitpid] [-o omitpid..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. NOTES
pidof is simply a (symbolic) link to the killall5 program, which should also be located in /sbin. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)