Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat FTP issue Post 302725269 by maverick_here on Friday 2nd of November 2012 03:02:19 AM
Old 11-02-2012
Hi,

This is a network issue,for you VMWare linux to be able to communicate with other machines on your network you would need the following config.

two virtual nics to you vm

1] Bridged mode

2] Host-Only mode

After Vmware assign's IP's to both the NIC's .On the VM-Redhat machine change your DNS settings ( of host-only adapter) to have the DNS settings of your base machine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Issue, Help please

folks; when i manually run this script below, it works fine, but when i run it using a scheduler like "autosys" it doesn't work & i get this error: ftp: connect: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation The script: ftp -n XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX <<- eof User Pswd cd xxx/xxxx/xxx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP issue

I have tried to ftp from unix to local window machine. I have taken this piece of code from forum and tried ... #!/bin/ksh #Usage example: ftpscript sanjit.txt C:/citi/readme.txt localFile=$1 remoteFile=$2 ftplog=loglog.log echo "$(date "+%H:%M:%S") - Attempt to FTP $1 to $2" > $ftplog #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u263066
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp issue

I was changing a bit of the existing script and didnt comment the ftp part in it. So, the ftp step executed, but there was no input file. I got the message like this netout: write returned 0? 250 Transfer completed successfully. What does this mean?. Has the ftp replaced the existing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnat
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

FTP issue

Hello all, FTP times out when I transfer large files. Small files get transffered fine. small files -------- -bash-3.1$ ftp -i cldevoradb01 Connected to cldevoradb01.enterprisenet.org. 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5) 530 Please login with USER and PASS. 530 Please login with USER and PASS.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp issue

Hi again, I'm using the following shell script via cron to upload the daily log files from my shell to the web server so we can view them online. But somehow logs get corrupted and i don't know what's issue. I would really appreciate for your help please. Shell Script: ftp.sh #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user`
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ftp issue

Hi we are facing an issue on our server our job connects to a target server and pulls the file from a location .But it is taking too much time to do this . Hwne i manully do the ftp it finished in few seconds .but when the jobs is pulling it is taking 30 to 40 min . please see the log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

FTP issue

Hi everybody, I would like to findout a directory or a file which is located at ftp server by connecting with ftp <ip> by using any other linux utility. I tried with find and locate commands in this manner but didnt work. Please help me. Regards, Mastan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Issue with FTP?

HI Guys, Issue:: While doing bye command on ftp, it just hings as below untill you try Ctrl+C 891 bytes received in 0.0017 seconds (526.16 Kbytes/s) ftp> bye 221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files. I too have tried with other commands like, close, disconnect etc but no luck. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atp3530
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp issue

I have logged into ftp and unable to enter into the below directory. can anyone help me out to enter into the below directory. ftp> dir 200 Command PORT okay. 150 File status okay; about to open data connection. drwx------ 0 0 Dec 15 06:39 BANK ISI-Bas ftp> cd BANK... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp issue

In the automated process. due to space in between banking and critical, the below command is not working in the automated process. Can anyone help it out. If I am putting cd banking critical-Bas" and file get ftp'ed. but not through the below line ftp -m "ftp.com" -d "banking critical-Bas" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
4 Replies
HOSTS(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  HOSTS(5)

NAME
hosts - static table lookup for hostnames SYNOPSIS
/etc/hosts DESCRIPTION
This manual page describes the format of the /etc/hosts file. This file is a simple text file that associates IP addresses with hostnames, one line per IP address. For each host a single line should be present with the following information: IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...] Fields of the entry are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. Text from a "#" character until the end of the line is a comment, and is ignored. Host names may contain only alphanumeric characters, minus signs ("-"), and periods ("."). They must begin with an alphabetic character and end with an alphanumeric character. Optional aliases provide for name changes, alternate spellings, shorter hostnames, or generic hostnames (for example, localhost). The Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) Server implements the Internet name server for UNIX systems. It augments or replaces the /etc/hosts file or hostname lookup, and frees a host from relying on /etc/hosts being up to date and complete. In modern systems, even though the host table has been superseded by DNS, it is still widely used for: bootstrapping Most systems have a small host table containing the name and address information for important hosts on the local network. This is useful when DNS is not running, for example during system bootup. NIS Sites that use NIS use the host table as input to the NIS host database. Even though NIS can be used with DNS, most NIS sites still use the host table with an entry for all local hosts as a backup. isolated nodes Very small sites that are isolated from the network use the host table instead of DNS. If the local information rarely changes, and the network is not connected to the Internet, DNS offers little advantage. FILES
/etc/hosts NOTES
Modifications to this file normally take effect immediately, except in cases where the file is cached by applications. Historical notes RFC 952 gave the original format for the host table, though it has since changed. Before the advent of DNS, the host table was the only way of resolving hostnames on the fledgling Internet. Indeed, this file could be created from the official host data base maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), though local changes were often required to bring it up to date regarding unofficial aliases and/or unknown hosts. The NIC no longer maintains the hosts.txt files, though looking around at the time of writing (circa 2000), there are historical hosts.txt files on the WWW. I just found three, from 92, 94, and 95. EXAMPLE
# The following lines are desirable for IPv4 capable hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost # 127.0.1.1 is often used for the FQDN of the machine 127.0.1.1 thishost.mydomain.org thishost 192.168.1.10 foo.mydomain.org foo 192.168.1.13 bar.mydomain.org bar 146.82.138.7 master.debian.org master 209.237.226.90 www.opensource.org # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ff02::2 ip6-allrouters SEE ALSO
hostname(1), resolver(3), host.conf(5), resolv.conf(5), resolver(5), hostname(7), named(8) Internet RFC 952 COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 HOSTS(5)