Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xlib and keyboard events
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users xlib and keyboard events Post 302720657 by DGPickett on Wednesday 24th of October 2012 01:18:55 PM
Old 10-24-2012
Without getting into xterm, or X at all, one can go to sttty raw or such, or equivalent calls, and process the keystrokes uncooked as they are typed, being careful not to block in the wrong places. What you get may still be the product of the x keyboard mapping, but if you do not like what it is, setting that up is a separate task. I cannot even keep my numeric keypad happy in X!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I map Unix keyboard for PC keyboard

A Solaris AXI 440 machine with Solaris 8 version. I have PC users who use an emulation to login to the Solaris server. How can I change the keyboard mapping of the Sun keyboard to fit to the PC keyboard ? Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simhab
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to get capture input events from keyboard and mouse

Hi, Is there any way to capture/record the input events from keyboard, as well as from mouse using C. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yhacks
4 Replies

3. Programming

Xlib mouse events and ButtonPressMask

I have written a simple program which will report key press and release events for a particular window. In my case, it is mostly the terminal since I invoke the program from the terminal. I am able to get the key press and release events taking place in the terminal window (I have used... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav.zoso
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem getting vertical bar with British keyboard layout on US (physical) keyboard

Hi, I've got a bit of a ridiculous problem and wasn't sure where to post it. I need to use the vertical bar for piping in Bash but, as per the title, am using a UK layout on a US (physical) keyboard which doesn't have a key for it in the place I'd expect. I've tried using xbindkeys and Unicode... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
7 Replies

5. Programming

Xlib registering

hey, Im new to the linux world. Lately, I have tried to create a glx window with xlib, making it a popup window(fullscreen) so I set override_redirect to true. Im happy with the removed borders, but apparantly, the application doesnt show up in the left bar in ubuntu, neither when I press alt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedardanius
4 Replies
glutIgnoreKeyRepeat(3GLUT)					       GLUT						glutIgnoreKeyRepeat(3GLUT)

NAME
glutIgnoreKeyRepeat - determines if auto repeat keystrokes are reported to the current window SYNTAX
#include <GLUT/glut.h> void glutIgnoreKeyRepeat(int ignore); ARGUMENTS
ignore Non-zero indicates auto repeat keystrokes should not be reported by the keyboard and special callbacks; zero indicates that auto repeat keystrokes will be reported. DESCRIPTION
glutIgnoreKeyRepeat determines if auto repeat keystrokes are reported to the current window. The ignore auto repeat state of a window can be queried with glutDeviceGet(GLUT_DEVICE_IGNORE_KEY_REPEAT). Ignoring auto repeated keystrokes is generally done in conjunction with using the glutKeyboardUpFunc and glutSpecialUpFunc callbacks to repeat key releases. If you do not ignore auto repeated keystrokes, your GLUT application will experience repeated release/press call- backs. Games using the keyboard will typically want to ignore key repeat. GLUT IMPLEMENTATION NOTES FOR X11 X11 sends KeyPress events repeatedly when the window system's global auto repeat is enabled. glutIgnoreKeyRepeat can prevent these auto repeated keystrokes from being reported as keyboard or special callbacks, but there is still some minimal overhead by the X server to con- tinually stream KeyPress events to the GLUT application. The glutSetKeyRepeat routine can be used to actually disable the global sending of auto repeated KeyPress events. Note that glutSetKeyRepeat affects the global window system auto repeat state so other applications will not auto repeat if you disable auto repeat globally through glutSetKeyRepeat. SEE ALSO
glutSetKeyRepeat, glutDeviceGet, glutKeyboardFunc, glutKeyboardUpFunc, glutSpecialFunc, glutSpecialUpFunc AUTHOR
Mark J. Kilgard (mjk@nvidia.com) GLUT
3.7 glutIgnoreKeyRepeat(3GLUT)