Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xlib and keyboard events
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users xlib and keyboard events Post 302720657 by DGPickett on Wednesday 24th of October 2012 01:18:55 PM
Old 10-24-2012
Without getting into xterm, or X at all, one can go to sttty raw or such, or equivalent calls, and process the keystrokes uncooked as they are typed, being careful not to block in the wrong places. What you get may still be the product of the x keyboard mapping, but if you do not like what it is, setting that up is a separate task. I cannot even keep my numeric keypad happy in X!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I map Unix keyboard for PC keyboard

A Solaris AXI 440 machine with Solaris 8 version. I have PC users who use an emulation to login to the Solaris server. How can I change the keyboard mapping of the Sun keyboard to fit to the PC keyboard ? Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simhab
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to get capture input events from keyboard and mouse

Hi, Is there any way to capture/record the input events from keyboard, as well as from mouse using C. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yhacks
4 Replies

3. Programming

Xlib mouse events and ButtonPressMask

I have written a simple program which will report key press and release events for a particular window. In my case, it is mostly the terminal since I invoke the program from the terminal. I am able to get the key press and release events taking place in the terminal window (I have used... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav.zoso
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem getting vertical bar with British keyboard layout on US (physical) keyboard

Hi, I've got a bit of a ridiculous problem and wasn't sure where to post it. I need to use the vertical bar for piping in Bash but, as per the title, am using a UK layout on a US (physical) keyboard which doesn't have a key for it in the place I'd expect. I've tried using xbindkeys and Unicode... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
7 Replies

5. Programming

Xlib registering

hey, Im new to the linux world. Lately, I have tried to create a glx window with xlib, making it a popup window(fullscreen) so I set override_redirect to true. Im happy with the removed borders, but apparantly, the application doesnt show up in the left bar in ubuntu, neither when I press alt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedardanius
4 Replies
keyboard_translatekeys(3)					Svgalib User Manual					 keyboard_translatekeys(3)

NAME
keyboard_translatekeys - modify scancode mappings in raw keyboard mode SYNOPSIS
#include <vgakeyboard.h> void keyboard_translatekeys(int mask); DESCRIPTION
This function sets several flags which control how certain scancodes are mapped. At startup a mask value of 0 is active. mask must be a logical or of zero or more of the following #predefined integers to turn the features listed on: TRANSLATE_CURSORKEYS Translate the scancodes of the SCANCODE_CURSORBLOCK* keys to those of the cursor keys on the number pad, s.t. keyboard_getstate(3) and keyboard_keypressed(3) report a keypress of the corresponding number pad cursor key and not the one on the cursor block. TRANSLATE_DIAGONAL Translates the scancodes of diagonal cursor keys (keypad 7, 9, 1, 3) to presses of two of the ordinary up, down, left, right keys. For example, instead of reporting a press of SCANCODE_CURSORUPRIGHT keyboard_getstate(3) and keyboard_keypressed(3) report a simul- taneous press of SCANCODE_CURSORUP and SCANCODE_CURSORRIGHT. TRANSLATE_KEYPADENTER The scancode of the keypad enter key is mapped to that of the ordinary enter key, s.t. keyboard_getstate(3) and keyboard_key- pressed(3) report a press of SCANCODE_ENTER regardless if keypad enter or ordinary enter is pressed. DONT_CATCH_CTRLC Pressing <Ctrl>-C does not raise a SIGINT. On contrary to the other flags this has also effect when a user defined keyboard event handler is used. Svgalib will always process <Alt>-F1 - <Alt>-F10 and perform console switches accordingly. BUGS
The TRANSLATE_* options above do really do simple scancode translations. For example, when TRANSLATE_KEYPADENTER is active and the user presses both enter and keypad enter. Then, if he releases one of them (say keypad enter), it's release event will clear the common keyboard state, s.t. no keypress is reported even though enter is still pressed. Similarly, if TRANSLATE_DIAGONAL is active, the user holds cursor upleft (keypad 7) down and then presses and release cursor up (keypad 8), svgalib will only report a pressed cursor left but the simulated cursor up will be lost. You can easily try this with the keytest(6) demo to make the effect more clear to you. SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), keytest(6), eventtest(6), keyboard_seteventhandler(3), keyboard_init(3), key- board_init_return_fd(3), keyboard_close(3), keyboard_update(3), keyboard_waitforupdate(3), keyboard_setdefaulteventhandler(3), key- board_getstate(3), keyboard_clearstate(3), keyboard_keypressed(3), vga_waitevent(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced function as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 29 July 1997 keyboard_translatekeys(3)