Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace column by random number addition Post 302720247 by msabhi on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 04:26:48 PM
Old 10-23-2012
Code:
perl -F'\|' -alne '{$num=(length($F[10])<=3)?9:sprintf("9"x(length($F[10])-2));$F[9]=$F[10]+int(rand($num));$"="|";print "@F";}' input_file

This User Gave Thanks to msabhi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed to replace second number in a random string

I need a sed line that will take STDM111 and change it to STDM161 the STDM will always be constant but the 3 numbers after will be random, I just need it to always replace the middle number with 6 regardless of what the numbers are. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Previous Column Value (addition)

Good day, First off, I would just like to say that I've been helped by a lot of the posts here in my own scripting work in the past few months. I've been a long time roamer, but first time poster. That being said, I'm stuck trying to figure out this issue (For computational research, not a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eblue562
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace all numbers in column with another number in bash

Hi, I've been trying to replace the numbers in the first column of my text file with all ones, unless the number is equal to 8. I have this: 1 1 11 123 258 2 1 9 135 175 1 1 15 143 274 8 1 13 153 172 8 1 13 154 166 8 1 13 154 167 3 1 15 237 255 4 1 15 243 202 1 1 13 133 166... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to replace a random number?

Hi all, I need to run a number of scripts which have a certain phrase on them so I have identified these by; grep -l 100 *script | sort -u Normally I could just run something along the lines of; for i in `grep -l 100 *script | sort -u`; do ./${i}; done However before I run each of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple number addition

Friends , Can u tel me how can i have done multiple addition using shell script ? Expected Output can be : 1 4 6 --------- Total - 11 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetsubhas
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 2nd column for each line in a csv file with fixed string+random number

Hi experts, My csv file looks like this U;cake;michael;temp;;;; U;bread;john;temp;;;; U;cocktails;sarah;temp;;;; I'd like to change the value fo 2nd column to cf+random number , which will look maybe something like this U;cf20187;michael;temp;;;; U;cf8926;john;temp;;;;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to generate random number as as the first column of a txt file

Dear all, I have a question. I have a txt file say 4000 rows X 1800 Column. I 'd like to creat a new column as the first column which is a column of random numbers (n=4000) thanks a lot! Lin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number of characters in a column and replace

Hi all, I want to count total no. of characters in a column. and if no. of charaters are more than 3 then it must replace it by splitted string. ie, it must place a space after 3 characters. Ex: 21 435g asd3dd jklfjwe wer column number 3 has 4 alphanumeric character, so it must be splitted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group/concatenate certain column and basis on this do addition on other column

Hi Experts, Need your support I want to group/concatenate column 1,2,12 and 13 and if found duplicate then need to sum value of column 17,20,21 and column22. After concatenation if found unique then no action to be taken. Secondly want to make duplicate rows basis on grouping/concatenation of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all string matches in file with unique random number

Hello Take this file... Test01 Ref test Version 01 Test02 Ref test Version 02 Test66 Ref test Version 66 Test99 Ref test Version 99 I want to substitute every occurrence of Test{2} with a unique random number, so for example, if I was using sed, substitution would be something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: funkman
1 Replies
RANDOM(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random , urandom -- random data source devices. SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device random DESCRIPTION
The random device produces uniformly distributed random byte values of potentially high quality. To obtain random bytes, open /dev/random for reading and read from it. To add entropy to the random generation system, open /dev/random for writing and write data that you believe to be somehow random. /dev/urandom is a compatibility nod to Linux. On Linux, /dev/urandom will produce lower quality output if the entropy pool drains, while /dev/random will prefer to block and wait for additional entropy to be collected. With Yarrow, this choice and distinction is not necessary, and the two devices behave identically. You may use either. OPERATION
The random device implements the Yarrow pseudo random number generator algorithm and maintains its entropy pool. Addditional entropy is fed to the generator regularly by the SecurityServer daemon from random jitter measurements of the kernel. SecurityServer is also responsible for periodically saving some entropy to disk and reloading it during startup to provide entropy in early system operation. You may feed additional entropy to the generator by writing it to the random device, though this is not required in a normal operating envi- ronment. LIMITATIONS AND WARNINGS
Yarrow is a fairly resilient algorithm, and is believed to be resistant to non-root. The quality of its output is however dependent on regu- lar addition of appropriate entropy. If the SecurityServer system daemon fails for any reason, output quality will suffer over time without any explicit indication from the random device itself. Paranoid programmers can counter-act this risk somewhat by collecting entropy of their choice (e.g. from keystroke or mouse timings) and seeding it into random directly before obtaining important random numbers. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom HISTORY
A random device appeared in Linux operating system. Darwin September 6, 2001 Darwin