Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search information in multiple files and save in new files Post 302720175 by bartus11 on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 02:06:51 PM
Old 10-23-2012
Should this new file be in the same directory as the old one?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging information from multiple files to a single file

Hello, I am new to unix and need help with a problem. I have 2 files each containing multiple columns of information ie; File 1 : A B C D E 1 2 3 4 5 File 2 : F G 6 7 I would like to merge the information from File 2 to File 1 so that the data reads as follows; File 1: A... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple patterns in multiple files

Hi, I have to write one script that has to search a list of numbers in certain zipped files. For eg. one file file1.txt contains the numbers. File1.txt contains 5,00,000 numbers and I have to search each number in zipped files(The number of zipped files are around 1000 each file is 5 MB) I have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
10 Replies

4. Solaris

How to search for a word in multiple files

Hi, I want to find for a particular word which is existing in different files and folders under the parent directory. What command can I use to retrieve all the file names which is having the word. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting information from multiple files

Hello there, I am trying to extract (string) information ( a list words) from 4 files and then put the results into 1 file. Currently I am doing this using grep -f list.txt file1 . and repeat the process for the other 3 files. The reasons i am doing that (a) I do know how to code (b) each file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houkto
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading information from a table and apply a command on multiple files

Hey gyuz, I wanna calculate the number of mapped reads of a bam file in a region of interest. I used this code to do so : samtools view input.bam chrname:region1 > region1.txt This will store all the reads from given bam file within the region of interest in region1.txt Now I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace in multiple files

Hello, I have hundreds of files in which I need to change email address. Here is what I am trying to do: 1. All text files are in a directory "a" 2. In the text file, I want to replace email address for preparer. All these lines start with {{PreparerEmail and end with }}. The email... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for multiple files

I need to look for 3 files in a particular directory, if they are > 0kb. If files exist proceed further, if not mail out saying one of the file is missing. All the 3 files should be present. Please see my script below and correct if needed. Anyway, it is not working. #! /bin/bash... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radfelder
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies
CREATE_MAKEFILES()														CREATE_MAKEFILES()

NAME
create_makefiles - Recreates all Makefiles beneath a directory SYNOPSIS
create_makefiles [dir] DESCRIPTION
create_makefiles recreates all Makefiles in dir and its (recursed) subdirectories from the corresponding Makefile.am templates. This script must be run from the toplevel directory (the one containing configure). This script saves time compared to re-running configure completely. If the source directory is different from the build directory (see the environment variables below), it will be assumed that each Makefile.am and Makefile.in belongs beneath the source directory and that each Makefile belongs beneath the build directory. This utility is part of the KDE Software Development Kit. ENVIRONMENT
One of the following variables (but not both) should be set if the source directory is different from the build directory. If the build directory is simply a subdirectory of the source directory, the simpler variable OBJ_SUBDIR should be used. OBJ_SUBJDIR Indicates that the build directory is in the given subdirectory of the source directory. For instance, if the source directory is kdesdk and the build directory is kdesdk/obj-i386-linux, then OBJ_SUBDIR should be set to obj-i386-linux. OBJ_REPLACEMENT A sed expression that is used to transform the source directory into the build directory. For instance, if the source directory is kdesdk/obj-i386-linux, then OBJ_REPLACEMENT should be set to s#kdesdk#kdesdk-obj#. SEE ALSO
create_makefile(1) make(2) AUTHORS
create_makefiles was written by David Faure<faure@kde.org>. This manual page was prepared by Ben Burton<bab@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). CREATE_MAKEFILES()