Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH ZCAT EGREP Shell Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH ZCAT EGREP Shell Script Post 302720105 by metallica1973 on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 01:12:10 PM
Old 10-23-2012
If I just:

Code:
zcat -v /var/log/syslog*
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[1572]: Starting delivery: protocol: smtp host: mail. file: 1350367203.17107
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[9414]: smtp: Failed: Connect failed
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[1572]: Sending failed:  Host not found
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[1572]: Starting delivery: protocol: smtp host: mail. file: 1350108002.10660
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[9415]: smtp: Failed: Connect failed
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[1572]: Starting delivery: protocol: smtp host: mail. file: 1350453603.30086
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[9416]: smtp: Failed: Connect failed
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[1572]: Starting delivery: protocol: smtp host: mail. file: 1350215920.13026
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[9417]: smtp: Failed: Connect failed
Oct 17 08:04:31 Dartanion nullmailer[1572]: Delivery complete, 8 message(s) remain.
 95.8%

I can see it going through all the files and or most of the files but I cannot seem to pass my variable into grep or egrep. ?

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-24-2012 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: fixed code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script

im trying to teach my self bash shell scripting. i want to include command line arguments in my script i am writing for practice. when i run my script it dosnt make a difference what arguments there are, it just out puts the error message as if there were none. here is the check_opts () function in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with bash shell script

Hi guys! I have just started with shell programming!! I am having pronblem with variable subsitutuion. when i do egrep "*" marks this will give me the pattern match. but how can i catch the output of that result in a variable. if i say result = egrep "*" marks it gives me syntax... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmtailor
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell script--need help

Hi all, i am beginner to unix and trying out a shell script which does the following. i have to calculate a persons salary. his salary is read from the keyboard. he has two types of deductions. 40% as dearness allowance and 20% as house rent. i have to print the gross salary. here is the code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with bash shell script

I need to create digit day script that takes a single numeric argument and then it should print out the day of the week using the number modulo 7 formula e.g: 0 - Sunday 6- Saturday 131 - Friday I am fairly new to unix so I don't know how to use the number modulo 7 formula. Does the script need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lukefrost96
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash shell script

Hi All, I have a script which as below #!/bin/bash for i in `cat servers` do ssh uname@$i "df -t xfs --total | grep total"; done > out.txtOutput as below -------------- total 140583991104 118622795524 21961195580 85% - total 140583991104 112888595524 27695395580 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash shell script help

Hi everyone, first time poster so I hope you'll be gentle with me. :o I am needing some help to make a script in bash to do the following: For each file with a name beginning with the string ff_ Extract the first line of the file (the date) Change "-" to "/" in the date entry to create a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierreDefuncto
3 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)