Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH ZCAT EGREP Shell Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH ZCAT EGREP Shell Script Post 302720089 by pamu on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 01:03:44 PM
Old 10-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica1973
Code:
zcat /var/log/syslog* |egrep '^`echo $err_date`'
gzip: /var/log/syslog: not in gzip format
gzip: /var/log/syslog.1: not in gzip format

The problem is highlighted in red..

Are you performing operations on .gz files..?

I normally prefer.Smilie

Code:
zcat *.gz | ....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script

im trying to teach my self bash shell scripting. i want to include command line arguments in my script i am writing for practice. when i run my script it dosnt make a difference what arguments there are, it just out puts the error message as if there were none. here is the check_opts () function in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with bash shell script

Hi guys! I have just started with shell programming!! I am having pronblem with variable subsitutuion. when i do egrep "*" marks this will give me the pattern match. but how can i catch the output of that result in a variable. if i say result = egrep "*" marks it gives me syntax... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmtailor
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell script--need help

Hi all, i am beginner to unix and trying out a shell script which does the following. i have to calculate a persons salary. his salary is read from the keyboard. he has two types of deductions. 40% as dearness allowance and 20% as house rent. i have to print the gross salary. here is the code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with bash shell script

I need to create digit day script that takes a single numeric argument and then it should print out the day of the week using the number modulo 7 formula e.g: 0 - Sunday 6- Saturday 131 - Friday I am fairly new to unix so I don't know how to use the number modulo 7 formula. Does the script need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lukefrost96
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash shell script

Hi All, I have a script which as below #!/bin/bash for i in `cat servers` do ssh uname@$i "df -t xfs --total | grep total"; done > out.txtOutput as below -------------- total 140583991104 118622795524 21961195580 85% - total 140583991104 112888595524 27695395580 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash shell script help

Hi everyone, first time poster so I hope you'll be gentle with me. :o I am needing some help to make a script in bash to do the following: For each file with a name beginning with the string ff_ Extract the first line of the file (the date) Change "-" to "/" in the date entry to create a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierreDefuncto
3 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)