Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris Logic to transmit traffic to physical interfaces ( eg ce0 and ce1) Post 302720067 by nadeemahmed on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 12:53:12 PM
Old 10-23-2012
Java Solaris Logic to transmit traffic to physical interfaces ( eg ce0 and ce1)

Just wanted to understand what is the logic being used by Solaris(kernel) to transmit data/traffic on physical interfaces.

I have seen most of the time traffic is being sent to interface ce0 and sometime to ce1.

I have removed ip address from below command for some reason.

Code:
netstat -rn

Routing Table: IPv4
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
a.b.c.d               x.x.x.1              U        1 537552 ce1
a.d.e.d               x.x.x.2              U        1 809673 ce0

Trying to figured out the logic/algorithm used to send traffic/data. i have gone through couple of document and understand, when system transmit a packet, it must locate the "BEST" interface over which to sent it.

but not so cleared about the algorithm or logic behind,since most of the time it uses ce0 and sometimes it use ce1 how?

Your early response will be appreciated with detailed explanation about this logic.

Thanks
Nadeem

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data.

Last edited by bakunin; 10-23-2012 at 03:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding interfaces in solaris 9

Hi, Have a solaris 9 e420, one onboard nic. Now I added a quad nic card. I have never had more than a single interface. Any help on setting this new card up? or links? PLease? ; thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ce0 and ce1 have the same mac address

i have ce0 and ce1 online, on 2 different networks. im getting a message that says one nic is trying to assume the others IP or something to thta effect. I do ifconfig -a and i see they have the same mac. How do i deal with this? Solaris 9 i beleive 04/04 Thanks, Brian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring networking interfaces on Solaris 10

Hi, I am trying to configure an ip address, netmask, and default gateway on my solaris machine. For example, in Linux I would do the following command: #ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 255.0.0.0 #add route or route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx In Solaris 10, I believe the commands are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: annointed3
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Traffic count in Solaris

Hello, Iam looking for a solution to keep track on my traffic usuage, monthly usuage. Anybody could recommend anything? /empty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: empty
2 Replies

5. Solaris

IPMP on 2 physical interfaces

Hi Community, I've a problem with IPMP: I have 2 physical interfaces, 1 "physical IP" and 1 VirtualIP. My question is: is it possible to have IPMP configuring 2 physical interfaces with the same "physical" IP Address? for example: ce0 10.10.10.10 ce5 10.10.10.10 and VIP... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
5 Replies

6. Solaris

list of physical net interfaces

hi, Can I listdown all available net interfaces on my system like SF4800 or Netra440. I know there are 4 port physically present but I can't see or list them using either sysdef -v prtconf -vp prtdiag -v dladm kstat may be I'm missing switched on these or may some other command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
8 Replies

7. IP Networking

Route all traffic between two ethernet interfaces

I have a Linux box with 3 ethernet cards: - eth0 - connected to internet (dhcp) - eth1 - 192.168.0.1 connected to embedded device1 - eth2 - 192.168.0.1 also connected to embedded device2 (both eth1/eth2 have to be in identical, though separate, private networks). Also, on eth0 I have two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kontozebyoszuka
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8: Multiple primary interfaces connected to the same network

Hello, I have a machine with Solaris 8, and it has multiple interfaces that are connected to the same network which means they all have metric 0 (1 hop) to the default gateway. assume: * e1000g0: 10.1.1.70 * e1000g2: 10.1.1.72 * e1000g4: 10.1.1.74 * e1000g5: 10.1.1.76 * gateway:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeg
11 Replies

9. Solaris

Configure ce0 as ce4000 in Solaris 9 ?

can we configure the ce0 and ce1 interface as ce4000 and ce5000 in solaris 9 I have a server configured similar way.. I need to setup another two server in such configuration find the sample output from working server. Please help root@judi::/dev# ifconfig -a lo0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Migration of Solaris 10 on physical host to Solaris Zones

Hi All Kindly let me know how can I move Solaris 10 OS running update 10 on physical machine to another machine solaris zone running Solaris 10 update 11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)